High blood pressure is one of the major causes of stroke and heart diseases. Maintaining a healthy weight by exercising and reducing stress can prevent high blood pressure. Yoga improves your physical activity and also provides a meditative effect, thus lowering the blood pressure. Here are six simple yoga poses to control blood pressure:
6 Easy Yoga Poses to Control Your High Blood Pressure
1. Bound Angle Pose
How to Do:
- Sit on your yoga mat with the soles of feet facing each other by bending the knees.
- Push your heels towards your pelvis as close as you can by holding your toes.
- Inhale and sit straight and tall.
- Gently exhale and try to press your knees to the ground.
- Bend from hips and bring your chest towards the feet.
- Remain in the position for 15 to 20 seconds breathing slowly.
- Come back to the original sitting position.
Number of Repetitions: Repeat this pose 5 times by giving a pause of 10 seconds in between.
How it Helps: The seated position improves blood circulation and metabolic rate of the body. Better circulation helps in better working of the heart and in removing toxins from the body.
[ Read: Best Yoga Asanas for Diabetes ]
2. Bridge Pose
How to Do:
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet placed on the floor. Feet should be hip-width apart and your arms should rest on the sides.
- Inhale and pull your stomach towards the spine. Apply force on the floor with your feet and lift the hips slowly.
- Press the hands and arms on to the floor to provide support to your body. make sure that your shoulder blades are resting on the floor.
- Remain in this pose for 15 seconds.
- Gently exhale while you bring your spine back to the floor.
Number of Repetitions: Do this 10 times for better results.
How it Helps: Your digestion and bowel movements improve and it helps in remaining healthy. Blood circulation to the head gets improved and relieves tensions.
[ Read: Yoga Asanas to Treat Varicose Veins ]
3. Head to Knee Forward Bend Pose
How to Do:
- Sit on the yoga mat with your legs stretched in front.
- Fold your left leg and pull the sole towards inner right thigh. The heel of the left foot should touch your inner right thigh.
- Turn your torso slightly to face the right leg.
- Inhale and bring the arms up and stretch it so that the fingertips point to the ceiling.
- Exhale and bend forward from groin to the extended leg and try to reach the feet with your hands.
- Pause in this pose for 3 even and deep breaths.
- Come to the sitting position and repeat the pose with the other leg.
Number of Repetitions: Repeat five times on both sides.
How it Helps: This pose helps in calming the brain and improving the digestion, which is necessary to control your blood pressure.
[ Read: Amazing Health Benefits of Yoga Asanas ]
4. Legs Up The Wall Pose (Viparita Karani)
How to Do:
- Lie on a mat placed perpendicular to the wall with your knees bent and feet on the ground.
- Slowly pick up your feet and adjust to your torso so that your sit bones are closer to the wall.
- Extend your legs slowly up the wall with your arms resting on sides of your body.
Number of Repetitions: You need to remain in this pose for 10 to 20 minutes. No repetition needed.
How it Helps: Increases circulation, provides relaxation, reduces anxiety and insomnia and controls blood pressure.
[ Read: Yoga Poses to Improve Mental Health ]
5. Adho Mukha Savanasana
How to Do:
- Stand like a dog on your four limbs.
- Exhale and lift your hip to form an inverted ‘V’ shape.
- Your hand and shoulder should be in a line.
- Hold for 10 to 15 seconds and return to the first position.
Number of Repetitions: Repeat 10 times.
How it Helps: The complete stretching relaxes and body and mind and removes stress.
[ Read: Yoga Poses to Improve Digestion ]
6. Virasana Pose or Hero Pose
How to Do:
- Kneel and sit with your bottom resting on your feet.
- Keep your hands on the knees and bring them closer so that the gap between your feet widens.
- Now hold in your navel and your hips should rest between your feet.
- Remain in this position for 30 seconds and release.
Number of Repetitions: Do it at least 10 times for better benefits.
How it Helps: It helps in improving physical activities which help in reducing body weight by increasing metabolic rate. It improves blood circulation to legs and cures high blood pressure.
Yoga helps you to calm down and achieve health benefits. Practice the above poses for controlling your high blood pressure.
Best Yoga Accessories
|Top Picks||Check Price|
|Best Lightweight Blanket:Benevolence LA Mexican Yoga Blanket||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Soft-Grip Combo:Syntus Yoga Block And Yoga Strap Set||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Moisture-Wicking Socks:Gaiam Grippy Yoga-Barre Socks||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Durable Wheel:Pete’s Choice Yoga Wheel||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Odorless Towel:YogaMate Yoga Mat Size Towel||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Non-Slip Mat:YogaAccessories Extra Thick High-Density Yoga Mat||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Unisex Bag:Ewedoos Yoga Mat Bag||Buy on Amazon|
|Best For Sensitive Skin:ASUTRA Yoga Mat Cleaner||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Versatile Strap:SANKUU Yoga Stretching Strap||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Budget:L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Matte Lip Liner||Buy on Amazon|
You Might Also Like: