Yeast infection is a common condition that mostly affects the genitals, mouth, throat and the intestines. It happens when Candida, a fungus that naturally lives on the skin, multiplies after being triggered by certain conditions. Due to its properties, baking soda is used widely to heal these conditions. This article shows how you can use baking soda and other commonly available products to beat yeast infection.
Why is Baking Soda good for Yeast Infections?
- Candida thrives well in the vaginal area as it is acidic. However, baking soda being alkaline, creates a non conducive environment for the fungus to multiply.(1)
- Baking soda maintains and balances the pH levels of the body as a whole.
- It dehydrates microorganisms by absorbing their water and enzyme content. This inhibits their multiplication and eventually kills them.
- It helps in keeping the skin dry, thereby preventing rapid growth of these harmful microorganisms.
How to Use Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
There are numerous mixtures you can prepare using baking soda and other different ingredients. Some of them work better than others. Here are some of the best and how to prepare and apply them.
1. Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar (Acetic Acid)
- teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Warm water
Preparation & Application:
- Douche the vinegar with the fairly warm water
- Let it rest for about 6 minutes
- Add baking soda and then add some more water.
For application, you should use the mixture to dry clean the infected area completely. Always remember to wear loose undergarments and clothes in general. The idea is to disinfect the area while ensuring that it stays dry. Use this treatment once a day, and in about 2 weeks, the infection shall be gone.(2)
2. Epsom Salt and Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
This procedure is mostly used to treat babies who develop yeast rash infection due to constant use of diapers.(3)
- 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt
- Fair amount of bath water
Preparation and application
- Add both the baking soda and Epsom salt into the warm bath water
- Stir completely until everything is well dissolved and well mixed
Use the result to bathe and wipe the baby’s body gently. Wash your baby daily until the rash is gone. If they experience this problem regularly, reduce the usage of diapers and when you use them, frequently change to allow the skin to breathe and dry up.
Note: If you do not get Epsom salt, you can always replace It with colloidal oatmeal.
3. Baking Soda and Water Douche
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 4 cups of fairly warm water
Preparation & Application:
- This method is the least complicated and is mostly used to clean the vaginal area.
- To prepare, just mix the 2 and stir satisfactorily. Shower the vaginal area and dry completely.
- You should apply this remedy twice a week. By the end of 2 weeks, you shall be well depending on your skin type and the severity of your condition.(4)
4. Coconut Oil and Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
Coconut oil contains 3 major antifungal elements, namely, Lauric acid, Capric acid and Caprylic acid. They actively destroy the Candida walls, hence dehydrating and eventually killing them.(5)
- 2 teaspoons of virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
Preparation & Application:
- To prepare, just mix them thoroughly.
- Gently dip a tampon in the resulting mixture, insert it into your vagina and let it stay for a couple of hours.
- Repeat this exercise daily until your condition disappears.
5. Baking Soda Bath for Yeast Infection
This bath relieves you from itching and pain among other pertinent yeast symptoms. It is a common home treatment recommended for pregnant women.(6)
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Standard bathtub filled with warm water
Preparation & Bathing:
- Add the baking soda into the water and stir completely.
- Soak yourself in the water for around 15- 20 minutes.
- After doing so, wipe yourself dry with a clean towel.
- To optimize results, you can add some salt into the water as well.
- Repeat the process morning and evening daily until your condition disappears.
Dangers, Tips, & Precautions When Dealing with Baking Soda
- Always drink a lot of water daily to flush out toxins from your system.
- If you live with an infected person, ensure that your clothes do not mix up while doing laundry.
- Always keep the infected area as dry as possible. Yeast thrives in moist conditions
- If you notice increased redness or irritation after the first application, quit usage and seek alternative methods.
- If you are pregnant, always consult your doctor for guidance on how to carry on your treatment.
- If you use drugs, alcohol or consume sodium-restricted diets, refrain from using baking soda.
The above are some of the ways you can use baking soda to get rid of your yeast infection. It is evident that baking soda is a precious gem when it comes to fighting yeast infections. Learn how to use it, and Candida will never stress you or your family. Whenever you develop complications upon usage, always seek medical advice.
- Antifungal activity of sodium bicarbonate against fungal agents causing superficial infections- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22991095/
- Vaginal Candidiasis Infection Treated Using Apple Cider Vinegar: A Case Report- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29112940/
- Sodium Chloride Inhibits the Growth and Infective Capacity of the Amphibian Chytrid Fungus and Increases Host Survival Rates- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3349647/
- Douching With Water Works Device for Perceived Vaginal Odor With or Without Complaints of Discharge in Women With No Infectious Cause of Vaginitis: A Pilot Study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1779617/
- In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17651080/
- Sodium bicarbonate gels: a new promising strategy for the treatment of vulvovaginal candidosis- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33122009/
You Might Also Like: