According to the studies, ear infections are most common in children in the age range of six to eighteen months. Ear infections are usually caused either due to infections by microorganisms such as bacteria, fungus and virus or due to the lack of wax production in the ear. Ear infections usually affect the middle ear and the inner ear. Sometimes excessive liquid trapped the ear can also cause infections. Here are some effective ways to use breast milk for ear infection.
Does Breast Milk Help Ear Infections?
- Due to the presence of antibodies, breast milk is said to be useful for both children and adults in clearing ear infections.
- Breast milk being a naturally produced product, does not have any side-effects and is said to be an effective way of introducing liquid in the ear canal.
- Lack of liquid in the ear canal is what mostly leads to ear infections.
- It also helps in killing any bacteria that can cause ear infection as it has antibacterial properties due to the presence of immunoglobulin-A, which is an antibody produced naturally by the human body to fight against bacteria.
How to Use Breast Milk for Ear Infection?
Breast milk is produced by the mammary glands of a woman, mostly after pregnancy. Breast milk contains proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and other biologically active components. Recent studies have been initiated to find out the benefits of breast milk to cure certain diseases in adults as well. Let us see here how breast milk can be used to cure ear infections.
1. Breast Milk for Ear Infection:
- 2-3 drops of breast milk
How to do:
- Take 2-3 drops of breast milk and warm it a little. Since the quantity is very less even a spoon can be used to warm it, but care must be taken so that the milk does not become too warm.
- Pour the warmed breast milk in the ear.
- Ensure that the milk is not poured directly into the ear canal but at the entrance of the ear.
- Leave it in for about 20 minutes.
- Clean the ear and ensure there are no residues or liquid remaining in the ear canal.
- If there is any of it left over because of carelessness while cleaning the ear post-treatment it could cause further infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Breast milk is available online, but it is always recommended to check the donor status and if possible avoid buying breast milk online.
- Breast milk does not have any side-effects however; lactose intolerant patients must not use breast milk for ear infections.
- Do not leave any liquid in the ear canal after the treatment as it attracts further bacterial growth.
If there is any further complications caused by using breast milk, which generally should not happen, consult the doctor immediately.
- How to Use Olive oil for Ear Infection
- How to Cure an Ear Infection Fast with Garlic
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Ear Infection