Kidneys are simple bean-shaped organs that are meant for removing toxic substances from the body, maintain a mineral balance, and regulate blood pressure. So it is essential to keep them take a healthy diet that has Vitamin B12, B6, and magnesium, reduce sodium intake, drink sufficient amount of water along with certain dietary modifications to ensure that they function well. Let us see some of the juices which can cleanse your kidney naturally.(1)
5 Healthy Juices to Cleanse Your Kidneys
1. Orange Juice
High blood pressure issue is prevented which eliminates the chances of kidney problems. Also, it is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin C, Just one cup of this juice can provide 140% of the daily vitamin C in your body. Thus the toxic substances are removed from the body, protecting the liver.
Recipe: Take 3-5 small or 2-3 large oranges, peel them, and blend them with some water. Strain the pulp, add a pinch of black salt for better taste. You can drink this once every day.(2)
[ Read: Yoga Asanas to Flush Out Kidney Stones ]
2. Watermelon Juice
Watermelon is an excellent way of hydrating and cleansing the kidney because it is a mild diuretic. Also, the lycopene in it enhances cardiovascular health besides maintaining proper functionality of the kidney. Urine’s acidity is regulated because of the potassium content in watermelon.(3)
Recipe: Take a large bowl of watermelon cubes, add it to the blender, and juice it without adding water. Once done, add a pinch of black salt to it and some lemon juice, for a perfect taste. You can have this refreshing drink every day.
3. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry has an ample amount of vitamin C that is best for removing toxins from the body. In the case of a urinary tract infection(UTI) also, drinking this juice prevents its recurrence. Thus the chances of kidney infection reduce. It also protects the kidney and liver cells from damage because of the proanthocyanidins in them that are strong antioxidants.(4)
- Take a bowl of cranberries and boil them in a soup kettle with water.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes by reducing the flame to low.
- After this, you will notice the popping of berries.
- These need to be strained and the mixture has to be pressed using a spoon so that the seeds are removed.
- Put back the cranberry juice in the pan, add some lemon juice, and boil.
- A little sugar can be added if you want.
- The process is now complete.
- All you have to do is cover cool it down and refrigerate to consume it chilled.
4. Beet Juice
Beets are veggies that are rich in antioxidants, potassium, and vitamin C. It keeps the blood pressure in check that is essential for a healthy kidney. Also, inflammation of the liver is prevented by the regular intake of this juice. There is an increase in the enzymes that detoxify the liver. If you do not like only beetroot juice, mix it with apple or carrot for a better taste.(5)
- Peel a beetroot, and a piece of ginger.
- Cut them into small pieces and add them to the mixer juicer, with a small amount of salt and lemon juice.
- Lemon and ginger are added for flavors but have a lot of health benefits too.
5. Cruciferous Vegetable Juice
Broccoli, spinach, kale, mustard greens are some of the cruciferous veggies that have a high amount of phytochemicals which is necessary for keeping the kidney healthy. Besides this, it also helps in reducing inflammation.(6)
- Take all the above veggies, wash them well, chop them, and add to blender with some amount of water.
- Blend until smooth and add a pinch of salt and crushed ginger too for better taste.
Points to Remember Before Taking Juice
This is important for those who are already suffering from impaired functioning of kidney though healthy individuals need not be cautious about the following points:
- Juice intake has to be limited.
- Potassium is a nutrient that can’t be filtered by the kidney efficiently, so you need to watch its intake too.
- Green veggies like kale and spinach have a high amount of vitamin K that plays a major role in blood clotting. But for people who are under kidney dialysis, it is important to avoid such food that can increase blood clotting. So better consult the doctor before having juices in such a case.
A healthy person can try all the juice recipes we have enumerated in this article. But while preparing any juice, keep in mind that you should avoid sugar as much as possible, as this is quite harmful. Also, you can try to avoid removing fiber from some juices if possible because they prevent spike in blood glucose level and also aid in better bowel movements.
- Juices Good for Liver & Kidneys- https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/juices-good-liver-kidneys-11666.html
- Effects of vitamin C supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3325833/
- Watermelon Juice- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335101290_Watermelon_Juice
- Cranberry juice- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302879024_Cranberry_juice
- The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25875121/
- Role of Magnesium in Vitamin D Activation and Function- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29480918/
You Might Also Like: