Kidneys have a very vital role to play in our daily well-being. They filter and purge impurities from the blood and produces urine to help us pass out these impurities from our body. At times when these substances are in a huge amount they tend to accumulate and bunch together and thus form kidney stones. Kidney stones can range from the size of a grain to the size of a golf ball and often associated with symptoms like pain in the abdomen, nausea, recurrent and painful urination etc.
Depending on the size of the kidney stone, the treatment for it can vary. There is variety of remedies available to treat kidney stones, amongst which one is Apple cider vinegar.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar aka ACV is a type of vinegar, made after fermenting crushed apples. Yeast and sugar are two other ingredients of ACV. It is often used as an ingredient in foods like salad dressings, pickles, and marinades.
Apple cider vinegar is packed with citric acid, which not only helps in preventing the stone formation, but also aids in dissolving the stone and helps them to pass through urine.
According to a study in which apple cider vinegar (ACV) was evaluated for its antiurolithiatic activity, the results came out effective and promising (1).
Let’s walk through the several methods and properties of ACV to dissolve kidney stones:
Medicinal Properties of Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Expel Toxins: Our body expels toxins through Sweat, urine or feces. With Apple cider vinegar, this process becomes even more effective. It helps in the process of cleansing, detoxification and flushing out the extra minerals so that they don’t add on and form stones.
2. Improves Digestion: Due to the high Alkaline content present in Apple cider vinegar, this helps in increasing the stomach acids and aiding better digestion. This process also ensures to prevent the stone formation.
3. Dissolves Kidney Stones: ACV also helps in dissolving the kidney stones into small particles so that it can pass out of the body on its own. (2)
4. May Lower Blood Sugar Levels: A study shows that consumption of apple cider vinegar can result in improved glycemic control among healthy individuals and diabetic patients. (3)
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Kidney Stones
1. Apple Cider Vinegar as a Salad Dressing
- The acidic element in ACV gives the dressing tanginess and brightness and also helps to cut out and balance the bitterness in the greens/veggies.
- ACV can be used in variety of fresh vegetables or fruit salads.
- This will ensure the intake of ACV in regular diet and thus help prevent kidney stone formations.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar solution for consumption
- Due to its sour taste and acidic nature, it is always recommended to dilute the ACV with water for its consumption.
- Mix 2 table spoons of ACV into one cup of water.
- The idea is to keep it in the ration of 1:10.
- Consume this solution daily, prior to each meal.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey
- As ACV adds a tangy flavor, and if you don’t like the taste,
- you can opt to add a spoonful of honey to the above solution.
- Drink this solution until you experience a relief from kidney stones.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda
- Baking soda along with ACV makes an effective recipe for treating kidney stones and also helps in preventing the formation of kidney stones.
- This combination is very effective due to its Alkaline nature, which helps dissolving kidney stones.
Tips and Precautions
- People who have had a kidney stone have the chances of getting it again. Advanced chemical analysis can help to determine the composition of the kidney stones, which can guide the treatment and help to prevent the formation of stones.
- ACV is recommended to cure small kidney stones. However if the pain is immense and unbearable it is advised to seek immediate medical attention.
- Increased amount of water and fluid intake will ensure to keep your body hydrated and urine clear
- It is always recommended to opt for the organic and raw ACV. Raw ACV will mean that it has not gone through any of the filtration processes that would make it less effective. (4)
Although advancement in the medical technology gives many ways and processes to treat kidney stones, many of the prescriptions are derived from the nature. A healthy diet plays a key role in avoiding many health issues including kidney stones. Try these natural recipes and stay fit and healthy!
1. An Investigation on Anti-urolithiatic Activity of Apple Cider Vinegar in Experimental Rats- https://globalresearchonline.net/ijpsrr/v74-1/06.pdf
2. Dietary vinegar prevents kidney stone recurrence via epigenetic regulations-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6642359/
3. Effect of Apple Cider Vinegar on Glycemic Control, Hyperlipidemia and Control on Body Weight in Type 2 Diabetes Patients- https://www.ijmrhs.com/medical-research/effect-of-apple-cider-vinegar-on-glycemic-control-hyperlipidemia-and-control-on-body-weight-in-type-2-diabetes-patients.pdf
4. Comparison of Cultivable Acetic Acid Bacterial Microbiota in Organic and Conventional Apple Cider Vinegar- https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/228650
You Might Also Like:
- Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar You Should Know
- How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss
- How to Get Rid of Varicose Veins with Apple Cider Vinegar