Small pieces of minerals and salts that are found in the kidneys are kidney stones, which may move downwards the urinary tract. People with kidney stones suffer from pain in the abdomen. Magnesium and Citrate are responsible for the formation of kidney stones. Here are some effective methods to take cranberry juice for kidney stones.
Table of Contents
Is Cranberry Juice Good for Kidney Stones?
- Kidney stones can be classified into different types on the basis of their composition.
- Some kidney stones which are formed due to excess acidic are called calcium phosphate while some kidney stones, which are formed due to excess alkaline urine, are called struvite stones.
- People having calcium oxalate kidney stones should avoid cranberry juice since the fruit has a huge amount of oxalates.
- People suffering from Struvite stones can take Cranberry juice. Thus, we can say cranberry juice is good for Struvite kidney stones.
Cranberry Juice for Kidney Stones Treatment:
Cranberries, creeping shrubs, have slender stems, evergreen leaves, dark pink flowers and fruits called berries. The fruits have high nutritional values as they contain vitamin C and antioxidants in huge amount. In addition, other vitamins; minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron etc.; protein, are also present in cranberries. Cranberry juice changes the levels of magnesium and nitrate in the urine of people having kidney stones.
1. Drinking Cranberry Juice for Kidney Stones:
Consumption of cranberry juice by patients of kidney stones is actually a best home remedy. Patients can consume these fruits in whole. But 100% natural cranberry juices, if taken regularly, will prevent urinary infections.
- 1 cup of cranberry juice,
- ½ cup of water
- Mix 1 cup of cranberry juice and ½ cup of water.
- Stir it well and drink it.
- You may add ½ tablespoon lemon juice to it.
How many times to drink: 1 or 2 times per day.
[ Read: How to Use Baking Soda for Kidney Stones ]
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Cranberry Juice for Kidney Stones:
Citric acid found in Apple Cider Vinegar helps in dissolving kidney stones by allowing the body to pass the stones more easily. Besides, Apple Cider Vinegar prevents kidney stones by increasing the production of hydrochloric acid.
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 ounces or 1 glass of water
- ½ tbsp baking soda
- Mix Apple Cider Vinegar with baking soda and water. Stir it well and drink it.
Best Time to drink: Drink before each meal.
How many times to drink: Thrice a day.
3. Lemon Juice and Cranberry Juice for Kidney Stones:
Lemon juice is a part of the diet for preventing kidney stones. The citric acid present in Lemon helps dissolve kidney stones and pass through urine.
- ½ cup of lemon juice,
- 6 cups of water,
- ½ tbsp cranberry juice.
- Mix ½ cup of lemon juice with 6 cups of water and ½ tbsp cranberry juice and drink it daily.
Best Time to drink: Early morning.
How many times to drink: 2 times a day.
There are controversies regarding intake of cranberry juice for dissolving kidney stones. While according to The University of Maryland Medical Center, cranberry juice is harmful to calcium oxalate stones but good for struvite stones; according to NYU Langone Medical Center, cranberry juice is really beneficial to patients of kidney-stones. The most important suggestion, given by The University of Maryland Medical Center, is that we must consult our doctors before self-treating with cranberry juice for dissolving kidney stones.