Sugar is tasty! But, it is harmful too. Eating lots of sugar invites various health problems including diabetes, weaker immune system, brain fog, weight gain, etc. From breakfast to dinner, don’t know how much sugar we consume daily. Now, you might be thinking to quit sugar, right? See, what happens when you stop eating sugar.
Table of Contents
Is it Good to Stop Eating Sugar?
It is not good to completely cut off sugar from your diet, but it should be consumed in little quantity. As recommended by American Heart Association, added sugar be no more than 100 calories (6 teaspoons) per day for women and 150 calories (9 teaspoons) per day for men.
What Happens When You Stop Eating Sugar:
1. Boosts Immunity Power:
- Consuming too much sugar hinders immune system cells that attack bacteria. This effect lasts for at least 4-6 hours after drinking a couple of sugary drinks.
- According to estimations, a blood sugar level of 120 reduces your immune system to 75%. Sugar and immune system are the enemies of each other.
2. Skin Glow:
- “Sugar equals wrinkles”, says Dr. Anthony Youn. “You can get your glow on within 14 days of giving up sugar”, he says.
- Studies suggest that high blood sugar levels cause glycation, a process that can hinder the repair of your skin’s collagen and elastin. Collagen and elastin are the two proteins that keep our skin looking plump and supple.
- A study of 600 men and women found that people who had higher blood sugar levels consistently looked older than those with lower blood sugar levels.
3. Sleep Well:
- Cutting down sugar, especially before bed, avoids a rise in blood sugar levels that can cut your sleep. It also avoids the inevitable drop that occurs after every rise.
- This drop enables the body to release hormones to regulate glucose levels and stimulate the brain. This whole process can easily cause you to wake. So, to have a better sleep, you’ll have to say no to sugar.
4. Lose Weight:
- Foods very high in energy from fructose (sugar) often result in weight gain. When you give up sugar, you allow your body to stabilize your blood sugar & insulin levels, which curbs weight gain and assists weight loss.
- “Sugar can be addicting, and when we decrease the amount that we eat, it also stops cravings, so we consume fewer calories and lose weight”, Kaufman says.
[Read Also:What Happens if you Eat Too Much Proteins]
5. Brain Healthy (Memory Power Increase):
- Less sugar equals less brain fog! And it is true. An animal study at UCLA found that a diet high in added sugar hinders memory and learning. The study shows that consuming lots of sugar for a long period of time may actually damage communication among your brain cells.
- So, cutting sugar may be one of the best tools to protect yourself from future cognitive decline, dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disease.
6. Lower The Risk of Diabetes:
- Consuming added sugar makes us insulin resistant by building up fatty deposits around our liver. This undermines the work done by our pancreas, which normally stops the production of insulin. This leads to diabetes.
- A study of sugar consumption was performed in 175 countries. In which, Dr. Robert Lustig found that consuming 150 calories of added sugar is 11 times more likely to contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes in comparison to 150 calories from protein or fat.
7. Live Longer:
- “When glucose spikes after eating sugary food, our insulin increases to compensate for it, and this activates a part of our nervous system which increases blood pressure and heart rate,” Kaufman says.
- Consuming sugar also increases unhealthy blood fats called triglycerides in the blood, which causes heart disease and stroke. According to a study, people who ate the most added sugar were most likely to die from heart disease, than their counterparts who ate the least.
Cutting down sugar isn’t easy, but the health benefits are incredible. Since added sugar contains some calories but zero nutrients, so it is always better to take a low-sugar diet that is packed with nutrients and good fats. Remember that your health should always be your first priority.