Toenail fungus is a type of infection which cut the skin near toe and gets in via cracks in your nails, resultant nails get thicker and discoloured. At times, it hurts too. One of the chief reasons behind toenail fungus is warm and damp toes. Fungus and yeast grow in different parts of the toenail and if they are not treated on time, it spreads further and causes infection. The infected nail can be easily distinguished from the normal one as it is thicker and yellowish in colour from the normal nail. Moreover, sometimes a white dot is visible on the nail and it gets bigger. The infected nail can break easily, it is so because the nail gets to loosen up and separate itself from the bed completely. If left untreated for a long time or if proper care is not taken, an infection can even spread to the skin around the nails.
As per observation, men get it more than women and chances increases as you age. Apart from it, people with weak immune system, diabetic patients, one who smokes or have athlete’s foot have more chances of their toenail getting infected. Also, the one who spends more time in water such as swimmers or surfers, their odds of catching toenail fungus is higher.
Visiting a podiatrist or a dermatologist is always an option. However, before they scare you how bad the infection is( and even though it is not) and give you a list consisting of topical cream, topical nail lacquer, anti fungal pill or remove the nail for once and all, it is better to try your hands on home remedy. When it comes to home remedy, there is no one to trust but apple cider vinegar.
Table of Contents
- Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help Toenail Fungus?
- How to Use of Apple Cider Vinegar For Toenail Fungus:
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar Toenail Fungus Remedy:
- 2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Water for Toenail Fungus:
- 3. Add it to Your Diet Plan:
- Tips and Precautions:
- Read Also:
- 38 Surprising Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar You Should Know
- Apple Cider Vinegar Foot Soak Benefits
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help Toenail Fungus?
- When fungus gets developed, it changes skin’s pH level and the skin gets more alkaline as compared to normal pH level of the skin.
- The acid containing vinegar balances the pH level. Therefore, it stops fungus from growing further.
- Apple cider vinegar contains anti fungal and antibacterial properties and thereby it eventually kills those bacteria and fungus which cause infection.
- The acidic nature of the vinegar stops an infection from spreading further and if it is used repeatedly, it will ultimately kill the infection.
How to Use of Apple Cider Vinegar For Toenail Fungus:
Apple cider vinegar is the best method to get rid of toenail fungus but it will also have to be used in the right manner and on time in order to make it work. Here are the following ways in which acid cider vinegar can be used; it can be used alone and in combination with other material.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Toenail Fungus Remedy:
- Firstly, trim the nail properly. Shorter the nail, the better it is.
- Apply vinegar on the nail and try to reach as deep under the nail bed as you can.
- Leave it and let it dry.
- Repeat the procedure thrice a day until and unless your toe completely gets rid of the infection.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Water for Toenail Fungus:
- Take water and vinegar in equal quantity.
- Pour vinegar in lukewarm water.
- Soak your feet for 30 minutes each day.
- Let the feet dry and apply tea tree oil to it as it will help in quick recovery.
- If you feel burning sensation, then you must dilute it further.
3. Add it to Your Diet Plan:
- One can consume mixture of apple cider vinegar as well.
- Not only will it help in curing the fungal infection but also in weight reducing.
- Pour one tablespoon of vinegar in 8 ounces of water.
- Drink the above mixture three times a day.
Tips and Precautions:
Apple cider vinegar must be used with precautions, however, there are other points that must be kept in mind in order to cure the infection and recover from it quickly.
- You must not use the same mixture twice. It is not healthy to use the contaminated mixture. Also, it might affect in a negative way, i.e. instead of recovering your nail you may ruin it.
- Use water and soap to clean your feet. Keep them clean and dry properly, including between the toes.
- Don’t roam around barefoot near pool area and in lockers rooms.
- It is always suggested to keep the toenails short. It should not reach the end of your toe. Also, keep in mind that the nail cutter or any other tool used is clean as well.
- Don’t rip off the skin around your nails.
- Don’t use nail polish to cover your discoloured nail. Nail polish will not allow your nail bed to breathe and fungus going away.Also, use of artificial nails is a no-no.
- Make a wise decision when it comes to footwear. The shoes must fit well. They should make a room for some air. In places like locker rooms and swimming pool, shower shoes must be worn.
- If you are confused that whether white vinegar should be used or apple cider vinegar, then you must avoid use of white vinegar because it can cause skin rashes.
- Socks should be regularly changed and it should be the one which wicks moisture away. Therefore, synthetic socks must be preferred over cotton or woollen socks.
- Good care must be taken off the bed nails and skin around toes in order to keep the infection at bay.
Even after trying the home remedies you do not see any sign of improvement then don’t forget your doctor is only a call away!
There isn’t any official studies conducted which can prove that apple cider vinegar will give 100% results. In fact, in some cases it might worsen the problem of infection. Therefore, in cases where you are consuming any other medicine, it is strongly recommended to consult your doctor before you use the apple cider vinegar.