UTI (Urinary Tract Information) is the most common infection that the people encounter. But UTI’s have various remedies as well. However, their treatment that is often done with antibiotics that has actually led the bacteria to become antibiotic defiant. That is dangerous. The more resistant that the bacteria becomes to anti-biotic, the more it gets adaptive and stronger. In order to combat the risk caused by the antibiotic resistant bacteria, people have been searching for ways to treat UTI’s without the usage of antibiotics. Here we present some of best home based ways to use baking soda for uti treatment.(1)
Is Baking Soda Good for UTI?
- It has been claimed that the baking soda neutralizes acid in urine which allows the body to combat bacteria on its own.
- Baking soda can also detoxify the kidneys that prevent the infection from spreading and causing further damage.(2)
How to Use Baking Soda for UTI
Baking soda by far is the apt way to treat a person of urinary tract infection and its right usage with the combination of leading a healthy lifestyle can ascertain that urinary tract infection does not make a comeback. For best results use baking soda in the following way:
1. Drinking Baking Soda for UTI
- half to a full teaspoon of baking soda
Preparation time: 2 minutes.
How to do:
- Dissolve half to a full teaspoon of baking soda in water.
- Drink the mixture on an empty stomach.
- You can also just mix a half tablespoon of baking soda in water
- drink it twice daily on an empty stomach.
- It will also alkalize the body.(3)
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda for UTI
- 1 or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 or 1 tbsp of baking soda
- 1 glass of filtered water.
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
How to do:
- Mix one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and half or one tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of filtered water.
- Drink the mixture two or three times a day. Preferably 20 minutes prior to every meal.
- If it gets to be too bitter for your taste then add a teaspoon of honey to the mixture.
- If you are not able to handle the taste then try and take capsules or tablets in place of the mixture.
- Apple cider vinegar is not a drug which means you can take it until the infection clears up.(4)
[ Read: How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for UTI ]
3. Epsom Salt and Baking Soda Bath for UTI
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of epsom salt
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
How to do:
- Fill a bath tub with warm water and add baking soda and Epsom salt respectively. Mix it well.
- Remain in the tub for at least 20 minutes.
- You can open your legs and position your feet over the bath tubs edge.
Repetitions: Take the sitz bath two times a day; it will help in dealing with the pain and burning in the urethra.
4. Cranberry Juice and Baking Soda for UTI
Cranberry juice is famous for its alkaline properties. It helps in maintaining the right pH balance of the bladder.
- Buy cranberries and use a mixer to get its juice.
- Once the fresh and pure cranberry juice is out you can add a tablespoon of baking soda to the juice.
- Consume 5 to 6 glasses of cranberry and baking soda each and every day for a continuation of four days to successfully eliminate the bacteria that causes infection thoroughly.
Tips: Drink only pure cranberry juice, not the commercialized ones because they only contain sugar and other preservatives which will be ineffective on the infection and will cause you further harm.(5)
5. Drinking Water and Baking Soda for UTI
In the case of UTI, it will be wise to increase your fluid intake. It s because the fluids will assist in flushing out the infection and keeping your body hydrated.
- Drinking a lot of water can also help in preventing cystitis.
- Choose water as well as the non-caffeinated tea, lemon water and other healthy drinks and for much better results, mix them with a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Drink the dissolved solution of water and baking soda twice a day, every day for a couple weeks to eliminate the bacterial infection from your body.
Tips: Do not drink caffeine as it can dehydrate you, Avoid other sugary drinks as well as alcohol.(6)
6. Lemon Juice and Baking Soda for UTI
- Squeeze the juice out of half a lemon into a glass of warm water and add a tablespoon of baking soda.
- Drink it every morning till the time your urinary tract infection has vanished.
- You can also add the lemon to your other drinks like green tea, etc and also add ginger, mint and honey.
Tips: Do not in any case opt for bottled or packaged lemon juice because they will not be as effective as fresh squeezed lemon juice on the urinary tract infection.
Urinary tract infection or UTI generally disappears after five days since the commencement of the treatment procedures. Most of the people do not incline towards getting any kind of treatment for the infection caused and wait for the infection to vanish on its own after a certain period of time.
However, the untreated infection tends to make a comeback frequently because the group of bacteria that causes the infection always lingers around in the zone waiting for the apt opportunity to commence multiplying.
Therefore, it will be unwise and an invitation to grave future troubles if the UTI does not get treated at the right time.In order to free yourself from the present and possible urinary tract infection scenario, you can follow the steps and remedies that have been given above and lead a life that will not stop you from doing the activities and consuming the food and drinks that you want.
Baking soda is the best option to choose if you do not want to intake several tablets and other medications, so try the remedies of baking soda with other effective products and witness permanent eradication of bacterial infection.
- Urinary Tract Infection- https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/uti.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fantibiotic-use%2Fcommunity%2Ffor-patients%2Fcommon-illnesses%2Futi.html
- Hemorrhagic Encephalopathy From Acute Baking Soda Ingestion- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5017849/
- Baking soda misuse as a home remedy: case experience of the California Poison Control System- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24313600/
- Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5788933/
- Cranberries and Urinary Tract Infections: How Can the Same Evidence Lead to Conflicting Advice?- https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/3/498/4558128
- Effects of urine alkalinization with sodium bicarbonate orally on lower urinary tract symptoms in female patients: a pilot study- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28975365/
You Might Also Like:
- Essential Oils For Diverticulitis
- How to Use Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
- Cranberry Juice for Bladder Infection
- How To Apply Estrogen Cream With Your Finger?