If you love scented products, you must be wondering if it is safe to use fragrance oil on the skin. Since it will be applied to the skin directly, you need to know its benefits and drawbacks before using it. So, the answer to the safety of fragrance oil is that it depends on the type of oil you are using, skin sensitivity as well as its purpose. Read on to know more about this.
Fragrance Oils Be Used On The Skin
Are Fragrance Oils The Same As Essential Oils?
People generally consider fragrance oils to be the same as essential oils but the fact is that they are different.
Essential oils are hydrophobic liquids in concentrated form and are obtained through the distillation process. You can find them having the fragrance of the source from which they are extracted, such as lavender oil obtained from lavender flower bush, sweet orange oil being extracted from the peels of orange and so on.
On the contrary, fragrance oils are lab formulated in various ways. These can have synthetic fragrances mimicking those naturally found. Such oils may be completely artificial or a mixture of synthetic and natural ingredients.
Is It Bad To Use Fragrance Oils On The Skin?
The impact of fragrance oil on the skin is not the same for all. It depends on the skin type and how it will react to the product. So, some may not have an allergic reaction while others may find it unfit for use on the skin.
The safe way to identify if you can use the oil or not is to consult a dermatologist who can offer personalized advice depending on your lifestyle and skin type.
[ Read: How To Restore Skin Color After A Burn? ]
Tips For Safely Using The Fragrance Oils On The Skin
- Do a patch test on the skin with the fragrance oil.
- For sensitive areas, be extra careful while using fragrance oils, especially if you have an existing skin problem.
- Fragrance oils having citronella must not be used on the skin as it is not safe.
- Check if the product has ingredients that keep the skin moisturized besides just offering the fragrance. This will ensure that skin doesn’t dry up or become flaky.
Advantages And Drawbacks Of Fragrance Oils
Advantages: They are aromatic and hence used widely in different perfumes. The feelings of anxiousness can be reduced by its use and you can feel more focused.
- Phthalates: This is an ingredient in fragrance oils, which is a hormone disrupter and can cause reproductive defects in both genders.
- Trigger Allergies: People with sensitive skin can develop an allergic reaction. This is applicable, especially for those with asthma
- Long-Term Defects: The fragrance oils are somewhat toxic which might not have any immediate negative effect but in the long term, serious health problems develop as the chemicals enter the skin.
Fragrance oils are not harmful to the skin in general but it is better to check the product ingredients to understand if you might get any adverse reactions. In case you find any discomfort, immediately stop using it and seek medical attention.
You Might Also Like:
- Does Cologne Stain Clothes?
- How Long Does Perfume Last On Clothes?
- 8 Best Essential Oils for Anxiety – Benefits & How to Use?
- How to Get Clear Skin Naturally at Home
- Can You Use Lactic Acid And Niacinamide Together?
- Top 9 Essential Oils for Cellulite Reduction
- How To Restore Skin Color After A Burn?
- How To Use Toner?
- How Long Does Cologne Last on Skin?
- 7 Best Grapeseed Oils For Skin
- How to Use Licorice Root for Skin?
- 5 Best Similar Fenty Beauty Perfume Products
- 5 Best Similar Juliette Has A Gun Not A Perfume Products