Though technology has simplified our lives, it stresses our health in the form of constant exposure to computer and mobile screens. Stress and lack of enough sleep lead to dark circles which make us look tired and older than our actual age. This is also caused due to aging, allergies, and sometimes, genetics. Certain methods can help in ensuring proper oxygen supply to the optic nerves and reduce pressure on the eyes. Let us see some of the homemade eye masks for getting rid of the dark circles.(1)
Homemade Eye Masks for Removing Dark Circles
1. Coconut oil Eye Mask
It not only reduces dark circles but also heavy bags around the eyes.(2)
Process of Making and Using: Just massage some drops of coconut oil under the eyes, and practice regularly to experience the benefits.
2. Almond oil
Almond has hydrating characteristics that help reduce the crow feet wrinkles and dark circles.(3)
Process of Making and Using: Apply a mixture of honey and almond oil every night for the best outcomes.
This is a great remedy for tired eyes.(4)
Process of Making and Using: Soak a cotton pad in pure rose water and keep it under the eyes for 15 minutes to experience a soothing effect and get rid of the puffiness of the eyes.
[ Recommended: Does Baking Soda and Lemon Remove Dark Circles? ]
It has a soothing and relaxing effect too and hence regular application of grated cucumber can be quite beneficial.(5)
Process of Making and Using: For this, the grated coconut needs to be chilled in the refrigerator 30 minutes before application. Then it should be placed on the eyes evenly for 30 minutes before washing it off.
5. Pineapple Juice and Turmeric
Process of Making and Using: Both are natural skincare ingredients. Mix them and apply for 30 minutes under the eyes regularly for 2 weeks to get the best results.(6)
Process of Making and Using: Green tea, black tea, or other herbal tea can be used for this. First, take some used tea bags and place them in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. Then these have to be placed on the closed eyes for 10-15 minutes. Regular usage can reduce the puffiness and dark circles around the eyes.
[ Recommended: Vitamin E oil for Dark Circles – Benefits, Uses and Tips ]
7. Baking Soda and Milk
Process of Making and Using: Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 4 tablespoons of fresh whole milk to create a smooth mixture. Keep it in the fridge and then apply the chilled mask around the eyes. Let it stay for 20-25 minutes before washing off, to make the eyes feel healthy and revived.(7)
8. Turmeric and Buttermilk
Process of Making and Using: Mix one tablespoon of turmeric with a tablespoon of buttermilk. Dip cotton balls in the mixture and place those under the eyes for 30 minutes. Make sure to place them a little away from the eyes to avoid irritation. This can be effective but the only drawback is that it leaves a faint stain of turmeric behind.
9. Coffee and Egg White
Process of Making and Using: Take a tablespoon of ground coffee and 1 egg white. Mix them well till froth is formed and use them to apply gently under the eyes with a face brush. Caffeine can reduce puffiness. This needs to be washed gently with cold water in some time.
10. Potato and Mint Leaves
Process of Making and Using: Take a potato and 5 mint leaves. Blend them with 2-3 tablespoons of water. Squeeze the juice out of this thick juice with clean hands. Dip 2 cotton pads in the solution and place them under the eyes for 30 minutes. Regular application every day can lighten your dark circles.
Natural remedies for reducing dark circles are effective but only when combined with sound sleep, and exercises that are crucial to keeping the eyes healthy. Without these, no remedy would show results.
- What causes dark circles under the eyes?- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17760701/
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/
- The uses and properties of almond oil- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20129403/
- Skin anti‐inflammatory activity of rose petal extract (Rosa gallica) through reduction of MAPK signaling pathway- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6261181/
- Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of cucumber- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23098877/
- Functional and Quality Characteristics of Ginger, Pineapple, and Turmeric Juice Mix as Influenced by Blend Variations- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7999861/
- Effects of feed intake and sodium bicarbonate on milk production and concentrations of hormones and metabolites in plasma of cows- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2840456/
- Does Lemon Juice Help Dark Circles Under Eyes?
- How To Use Castor Oil For Dark Circles?
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Dark Circles Under Eyes?