Waxing is a safe option for efficiently removing the hair in the legs. The only thing one needs to be careful about is while waxing the sensitive areas such as the knee. The wax must be at the right temperature and the right amount needs to be applied for efficient hair removal. Unlike shaving, waxing ensures hair-free legs for about 4 weeks instead of just 3-4 days.
- Waxing Legs at Home:
- 1. Check Hair Length:
- 2. Exfoliate:
- 3. Cleanse:
- 4. Using the right wax:
- 5. Heat the wax and test its temperature:
- 6. Application of a barrier:
- 7. Avoid accidental repetition by using a white eyeliner pencil:
- 8. Allowing The Wax to Harden:
- 9. Moisturization:
- Tips to Follow If You Are Going to Wax:
- When Must You Avoid Waxing?
Waxing Legs at Home:
Here are the steps to be followed for waxing:
1. Check Hair Length:
- The hair has to be at least 1/4th inch to be sufficient for waxing. This is the optimum length to ensure grip for easily pulling them away. Similarly, they should not be longer. Even if they are, make sure to trim them off.
- Skin needs to be exfoliated at least 2 days before waxing to remove the dead cells on the skin.
- Make sure that the legs are cleansed well to remove the dirt, sweat, or any body lotions that have been applied to them. But never take a hot shower prior to waxing.
[ Recommended: How to Use Baking Soda for Hair Removal ]
4. Using the right wax:
- Cold wax strips are available and a good choice when you are a beginner as you would want to avoid the burning sensation of using hot wax. Based on the type of your skin, opt for a wax that doesn’t cause any unwanted effect on the skin.
5. Heat the wax and test its temperature:
- When using hard wax, it is essential to heat it in a microwave. To test if the temperature is right, apply a small patch of it on the outer wrist. If you can tolerate it, then you are good to go.
6. Application of a barrier:
- This is needed to be applied on the areas to be waxed for the protection of the epidermis. Using a small amount of baby powder is a good idea as this will help you get rid of any oils on the skin and thus the wax will stick better. Avoid cornstarch-based powder.
[ Recommended: How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hairs on Legs ]
7. Avoid accidental repetition by using a white eyeliner pencil:
- Using a white eyeliner pencil for demarcating the section that has already been waxed will help you avoid repetition. During the application of wax, it is better to follow the direction of the hair with a spatula.
8. Allowing The Wax to Harden:
- The wax needs to sit for some time so that it shrinks and wraps well around the hair which has to be removed. Check the instructions on the wax and make sure to adhere to them. Pull the wax or wax strip quickly to avoid much discomfort.
- Moisturize your skin deeply once waxing is done as they will dry out. Make sure to avoid exfoliation for a few days as this can result in skin irritation.
[ Recommended: How to Remove Facial Hair Using Turmeric ]
Tips to Follow If You Are Going to Wax:
- Never numb the area which has to be waxed prior to waxing as the follicles will get constricted, making the process difficult for you. Ice, as well as any numbing cream, must be used.
- Sugar wax works well on fine hair on sensitive skin which hasn’t been shaved before but for legs, resin-based wax provides better results.
- In case there are any lesions or moles in the area, that should be covered first to avoid injury due to waxing.
- Avoid pulling it straight up as this can be painful. In case of a stinging experience at the site of hair removal, make sure to apply some pressure on it as soon as the waxing is done. You can use some lotion having salicylic acid for preventing ingrown hairs.
- Body oil can be used for removing the remaining wax on the skin instead of using hot water. Opt for a sugaring kit if you find cleaning the wax troublesome as sugar can be easily washed off.
- Avoid skin-fitting clothes for a few days post-waxing to avoid irritation.
- Never tan after waxing.
When Must You Avoid Waxing?
People with the following conditions need to avoid waxing:
- Sensitive skin.
- Those having breakouts, rashes, or sunburns.
- Those who recently underwent a skin procedure.
- Those using bleaching products.
- Those using acids or peels.
- Taking oral acne medications, topical retinol products, or topical antibiotics.
Some people might perceive waxing to be quite a painful process but if you follow the right way of doing it, the chances of pain for a long time get significantly reduced. Beginners must therefore take special care of following all guidelines and tips before waxing their legs.