Cellulite appears in the skin in the form of an uneven surface or dimpling. It occurs when there is an increase in the fat cells which push up against the skin. It is a harmless condition but makes certain parts look ugly such as the thighs, hips, abdomen, and buttocks. Dry brushing is a method of exfoliating the skin with the help of a soft bristle brush. It is known to reduce cellulite. We will look into this in the next sections, as to how effective it is.
Dry Brushing Technique:
It was initiated in India 5000 years back and had been incorporated in daily routine for preserving the natural beauty in the human body by making the skin firm and smooth. When a palm-sized brush with soft bristles is used for exfoliating, it removes the dead skins. Besides this, the blood circulation, as well as the lymphatics, also get stimulated. This has to be followed by a warm shower and then the application of moisturizing cream, oil, or lotion to complete the process.
- Use an ergonomic brush with natural bristles.
- Brush upwards in the areas having cellulite, in a circular motion.
- Practice the process about 2- 3 times every week in the beginning in case you have a sensitive skin type.
[ Read: Dry Brushing: Benefits and How-To Guide ]
How Does The Dry Brushing Method Reduce Cellulite?
Dry brushing increases the blood circulation resulting in vasodilation, i.e when there is the widening of capillaries and an increased blood flow. This plumps up the skin, reducing the appearance of cellulite.
As per Ayurveda, dry brushing breaks the fat deposits and prevents the further deposition of fat since the circulation is enhanced in the lymph areas.
Certain practitioners also believe that further cellulite formation can also be prevented by this. A calming experience can be felt as the body gets rid of the toxins by this process. Stress is relieved and muscles are relaxed.
Are The Results of Dry Brushing Permanent?
No, dry brushing works as long as you are continuing it. Cellulite will appear again if this is stopped. The reason is that dry brushing just makes the cellulite less visible instead of reducing them forever. In short, this is a method that plumps up your skin and hence not a permanent solution to prevent cellulite from appearing again.
Side Effects of Dry Brushing:
When done vigorously, dry brushing can lead to skin sensitivity and abrasions. If you do not take care of your skin after this, irritation, inflammation, redness, and peeling can also occur. This is especially applicable for those having eczema, psoriasis, or very dry skin.
Tips to Avoid Side Effects of Dry Brushing:
Here are some tips you must follow while dry brushing to avoid its negative effects:
- It is generally not harmful unless you are overdoing it.
- People having very sensitive skin with issues such as eczema, psoriasis, should avoid it as dry brushing will aggravate the condition. In such a scenario, it is better to try exfoliation with a plain dry washcloth instead of a brush with soft bristles. If you notice benefits, continue the process and stop in case of swelling, redness, and inflammation. Consult a dermatologist if needed.
- Avoid dry brushing on raised bumps, warts, or moles.
- The process must never be used on broken skin such as when there are sunburns, lesions, other types of burns, scrapes, cuts, or sores.
- Areas with the infection must never be brushed as the situation can aggravate. Similarly, the technique should not be used on the face as the skin is too sensitive.
- The right time to dry brush is before taking a shower so that the dead skin removed by the process can be easily washed off. Then a good moisturizer has to be applied to keep the skin soft and supple.
- Exfoliation should not be done in hot showers as this will cause inflammation and remove the natural oils, fat, and proteins of the skin which are essential for maintaining its healthy condition. This can even result in itching and redness.
Dry brushing waves up the senses when done in the morning as it results in an invigorating experience. Doing it consistently can help you witness a reduction in cellulite. Along with this, exercises must be done to burn the fat besides witnessing other benefits. This will help you get results that last longer so you can stop relying solely on dry brushing.
You Might Also Like:
- How to Get Rid of Cellulite with Castor Oil
- How to Get Rid of Cellulite Naturally at Home?
- How to Use Coconut oil for Cellulite
- How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Cellulite