Wheat germ(1) oil is extracted from the center of the wheat berry which forms the ‘heart’ or core of wheat kernel. Wheat germ is the embryo of the plant and it supplies nutrients which aids in its growth. Now you will be convinced if I say that wheat germ is the powerhouse of nutrients since it contains almost 23 nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids and iron. The oil extracted from wheat germ is equally beneficial for your health, skin and hair. You can consume wheat germ oil or apply it on your skin to stay evergreen. Wheat germ oil and extracts are liberally used by the beauty and cosmetic industry to manufacture moisturizing lotions and anti-ageing serums.
Wheat germ oil is high in nutritional value(2) and can be used for several purposes. Here are some reasons why you should keep a stock of wheat germ oil in your house-
Wheat Germ Oil Benefits for Health
Wheat germ and the husk are removed to manufacture refined wheat that is used to make bread and other products. Wheat germ is available in liquid or as capsules. It can be used for breading meats, flavoring fruit pies and breakfast cereals or to make your yogurt healthier. Wheat germ not only makes your food delicious you can also consume it as a nutritional supplement. Let’s find out what makes wheat germ so healthy-
- Wheat germ is rich in vitamin E, nutrient with antioxidant property. The antioxidants help to fight free radicals in the body thereby keeping disease at bay.(3)
- You can find wheat germ if you consume whole grain products as it is a rich source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and also keeps the body weight in check.
- Wheat germ oil decreases the level of bad cholesterol and improves the blood lipid profile.(4)
- Wheat germ oil is rich in vitamin B that aids in repairing tissue damage and promotes tissue growth. Wheat germ contains 28% of proteins that also help in tissue repair and growth. It also promotes the growth of healthy red blood cells.
- Wheat germ oil contains octacosanol (a long chain saturated primary alcohol) which helps to increase the levels of muscular energy. So you can add it to your post-workout smoothies to increase oxygen intake and energy levels. Wheat germ is a rich source of carbohydrates.
- Wheat germ oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help to maintain a healthy nervous system. The vitamin B-complex in wheat germ ensures that you stay stress free and active.
- Wheat germ is high in vitamin E and it is very good for pregnant women. It helps to prevent birth defects like miscarriages and impotence.
- Wheat germ oil is rich in magnesium and it helps to keep the blood sugar levels under control. Thus diabetic patients should make wheat germ oil or products as a part of their regular diet.
- Daily intake of Avemar a fermented wheat germ extract helps to keep the deadly disease like cancer and auto immune disease like rheumatoid arthritis at bay. It also resolves metabolic problems.
- The body cannot synthesize linoleic acid so consuming wheat germ oil or products can help to makes up for the loss. Wheat germ oil also contains Oleic acid, Palmitic acids and stearic fatty acids that the body needs for performing different functions.(5)
[ Read: Incredible Benefits of Sesame Oil ]
Wheat germ oil is beneficial for health since it is extracted from the healthiest part of the wheat that contains almost 25% of the nutrients. It is even healthier than fruits and vegetables. Spruce up your soups and muffins by sprinkling wheat germ while preparing.
Side Effects of Consuming Wheat Germ oil
However, those who suffer from celiac disease and are gluten(6) intolerant should keep away from wheat germ oil and products. Wheat germ also contains triglycerides so patients with heart ailments or those who are in the risk of developing heart problems should have wheat germ after consulting the doctor. Wheat germ can also cause diarrhea, nausea, gas, and dizziness in some people. So consult your general physician to find out whether wheat germ is suitable for you. If it is suitable then you should find out the dose and how frequently you should consume it.
Wheat Germ Oil Benefits for Skin:
We all desire to have healthy glowing skin which is flawless and a clear complexion. Wheat germ oil is rich in Vitamin E which is great for your skin. Here’s why you add wheat germ oil in your skin care kit to make it complete.
- Wheat germ oil is easily absorbed by the skin and keeps the skin hydrated. It soothes dry and cracked skin and it doesn’t make oily skin look slick.
- Wheat germ oil aid in collagen production and prevent signs of premature ageing from appearing.
- The oil is fortified with Vitamins A, B, D, E and it is high in antioxidants which keep wrinkles and dark spots at bay. Here is your natural anti-ageing solution free of harmful chemicals.(7)
- Wheat germ oil contains vitamins D and Vitamins E and help to treat scars and is important for maintaining healthy skin. Just apply wheat germ oil on the affected areas for eight to twelve weeks and see your scars disappear gradually. Here is a step by step process of curing scars with wheat germ oil.
- Wheat germ oil increases blood circulation and cures dry itchy skin. It is also effective in curing skin diseases like Vitilgo, Psoriasis, and Eczema.
- The skin damage caused by harmful rays of the Sun is due to free radicals. It affects the collagen production adversely and this results in wrinkles and sometimes skin cancer. Wheat germ oil helps to protect the skin from sun damage.
- Wheat germ oil also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to cure dermatitis, redness and other skin irritations.
- The vitamin E content in wheat germ oil help in tissue regeneration and thus it is a perfect cure for cuts, wounds or ulcers.
Wheat Germ oil can be used as a base or carrier oil. Follow these methods to make the best use of the beneficial properties of wheat germ oil. If your skin is sensitive you can do a patch test with wheat germ oil before applying it to your skin.
Wheat Germ Oil Benefits for Hair:
Wheat germ oil is rich in fatty acids and this makes it a perfect natural hair conditioner.
- Prepare your own leave-in-conditioner by combining one-third cup sunflower oil, one-third cup wheat germ oil and a quarter cup Shea butter. Apply it to soaking wet hair. However, those with fine hair should avoid this method as it is rich in emollients and heavy. It protects the hair ends from over drying in cold temperature. Dry hair splits very easily and becomes unmanageable. Wheat germ oil makes it soft and strong.(8)
- Wheat germ oil contains essential fatty acids that play a vital role in cell growth in the body. It also contains vitamin E that aids in hair growth by stimulating the growth of capillaries. More capillaries mean increased blood circulation. As a result, hair follicles gets proper nutrition that helps in faster growth and this also prevents hair loss.
- The essential fatty acids in wheat germ oil are a perfect remedy for damaged hair. Factors like stress, pollution and dandruff can cause hair dryness and make it fragile. The emollient properties of the essential fatty acids lock moisture inside the hair stem or shaft. The ceramids are like cementing substance that bind scales of cuticle together and are made of fatty acids. Wheat germ oil strengthens the ceramids and helps to protect the hair from damage.
- Wheat germ oil contains B vitamins that aid in cell regeneration. This makes it an ideal cure for alopecia and receding hairline in both men and women.
[ Read: Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil Benefits ]
Use a little amount of wheat germ oil and massage it to your hair and scalp. This will stimulate blood circulation, once the oil is well absorbed by your hair then use a little more. You can use post shampoo as a natural hair conditioner. It is best you use cold-pressed wheat germ oil and warm it up before application. Follow it up with turban therapy for better absorption of oil. Those who have fine hair can add few drops of wheat germ oil to their hair oil to avoid greasy hair.
So you see how versatile wheat germ oil is, you can make it a part of your pantry or vanity set. Combine it with your face and hair packs to stay gorgeous or eat it for your breakfast to stay active throughout the day. The choice is yours. Here’s wishing you good health inside out!
- Wheat Germ: An Overview on Nutritional Value, Antioxidant Potential and Antibacterial Characteristics- https://www.scirp.org/html/8-2701482_54019.htm
- Oil, wheat germ-https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171014/nutrients
- Chemical Composition and in vitro Anti-inflammatory Activity of Wheat Germ Oil Depending on the Extraction Procedure- https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jos/70/8/70_ess20317/_article/-char/ja/
- Studies on the nutraceuticals composition of wheat derived oils wheat bran oil and wheat germ oil- https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13197-013-1119-3
- Nutritional composition, extraction, and utilization of wheat germ oil: A review-https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ejlt.201600160
- Possible Prevention of Diabetes with a Gluten-Free Diet- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6266002/
- Vitamin E in dermatology- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4976416/
- Nutritional composition, extraction, and utilization of wheat germ oil: A review- https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ejlt.201600160
- Omega-3 Fish Oil Benefits And Side Effects
- Surprising Benefits Of Jojoba Oil For Beautiful Skin & Hair
- How to Take Apple Cider Vinegar to Lower Cholesterol?