Cold sores are extremely painful and hence unwanted sores caused by herpes virus and are also known as fever sores. It is usually transmitted when a person is exposed to the any product used by another person infected by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Cold sores are characterized by the appearance of blisters near the mouth and hands. They can be cured with the use of a naturally derived products like apple cider vinegar and do not need chemical based over-the-counter products to be used. Listed below are the various methods of using apple cider vinegar for cold sores relief. Try them out and see how efficient it is.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Cold Sores?
- Apple cider vinegar has already been proven to help with a number of bacterial infections which are the main cause for cold sores.
- Apple cider vinegar also helps in balancing the pH of the skin and in the body which is a common occurrence during cold sores.
- Acetic acid in vinegar helps in killing the bacteria and drying out the sores and thus helps in curing cold sores.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold Sores
There are numerous health benefits of apple cider vinegar owing to the presence of acetic acid, magnesium, potassium, enzymes and presence of probiotics or good bacteria. Apple cider vinegar has several health benefits, the list of which is very long and here we shall be focusing only on using apple cider vinegar to cure cold sores.
1. Water and Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold Sores
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- One glass of warm water
How to Prepare:
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this thrice a day to help clear stomach infections.
- These infections can be the leading cause of cold sores.
[ Read: How to Use Tea Tree oil for Cold Sores ]
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold Sores
- Apple cider vinegar
- Cotton swab
How to do:
- Clean the affected area properly before starting with the treatment.
- Take a sterile cotton swab and dip it in apple cider vinegar.
- Remove the extra apple cider vinegar soaked in the cotton swab before applying to the skin.
- Apply this on the affected area.
Repetition: This should be done every day till the time the cold sores don’t seem visibly healed.
3. Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar for Cold Sores
- Warm water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Cotton swab
How to do:
- Squeeze half a lemon in warm water.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the warm lemon water.
- Soak a sterile cotton swab in this solution and remove the excess solution from the swab before using.
- Apply this on the affected area with a sterile cotton swab.
Repetitions: This process must be continued to be practiced on a daily basis till the time the cold sores heal.
Precautions and Tips:
- Intake of apple cider vinegar directly can cause acid formation, hence it is not suggested to be taken directly.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar before use. Using it undiluted may cause more harm than good.
- Do a patch test before using this remedy. If it does not suit during the patch test, do not use this remedy.
- Consult a doctor if this makes things worse.
You Might Also Like:
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Cold Sores
- Does Garlic Prevent Cold Sores
- 10 Essential Oils for Cold Sores: How It Works?