Sensing pain somewhere unexpected is a very frequent feeling for many of us. Roof of mouth is one such area where any amount of pain in really annoying. Although, sores can come anywhere in the mouth to give you pain but sores on the roof of the mouth is particularly painful. The health of your mouth is an indication of your general health. Anything happening anywhere in your body might just reflect in your mouth so you should worry a little if you discover a sore in your mouth. Let us read to know how to get rid of roof of mouth sore at home.
Table of Contents
- Possible Causes of Roof of Mouth Sore:
- How to Get Rid of Roof of Mouth Sore?
- 1. Baking Soda for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- 2. Essential Oil for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- 3. Tea Bags for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- 4. Plain Yogurt for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- 5. Lukewarm Saline Solution for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- How Long Does it Take for a Sore on the Roof of Your Mouth to Heal?
Possible Causes of Roof of Mouth Sore:
1. Burns: One of the primary reasons of having a sore at the roof of mouth is eating hot food. The skin on the roof of our mouth is lot more delicate as compared to that of our tongue. Due to this hot food can cause burns resulting in blisters, swelling or an injury on the delicate part.
2. Infections: Roof of mouth sore can also be caused by infections. There are many ways of infection one of which is tooth decay. Suppose there is an injury on the roof of your mouth, this provides an excellent opportunity for the bacteria to cause infection. Getting an infection in your mouth is not a good condition to be in. It can cause inflamed abscess in your mouth. Visit your dentist as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading in your mouth.
3. Injury: As stated above, the skin of the hard palate is very delicate. Any sharp food like potato chips or nachos can cause injury on the roof of your mouth. One more reasons of injury can be poor fitting dentures. This can rub on your hard palate and cause painful blood blisters. Once you get rid of the cause the injury typically heals quite quickly, during this time you should avoid eating any spicy or sharp food.
4. Burning Mouth Syndrome: If you feel a consistent burning sensation in your mouth, you should get yourself checked for burning mouth syndrome. In this syndrome you could have burning sensation in a part of your mouth like the roof or even the entire mouth can be affected.
5. Papillomas: This is a type of virus that causes bump on the roof of your mouth. According to the doctors, the warts and skin tags caused by this virus are completely harmless and usually left alone. But if you sense some pain or irritation, you should immediately go and see a doctor.
6. Oral Cancer: The second word gives the chill. In some rare cases sores can also be an indication of oral cancer. According to experts, white and red sores that do not clear up in 2 weeks should immediately be checked by professionals.
How to Get Rid of Roof of Mouth Sore?
Mouth sores are rather irritating and really painful. This should never be ignored as this might be an indication of oral cancer as well. A little neglecting on your part can result in something serious. Professionals are already seated in hospitals. But here are some home remedies that will help you in getting rid of mouth sore-
1. Baking Soda for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- One tablespoon water
- One tablespoon baking soda
- Mix the ingredients to obtain a fine paste.
- Use your fingers or a cotton ball to apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave the paste for a few minutes, unattended to get dry
- After it gets dry, rinse with lukewarm water to wash out the paste.
- Gargle so that the bacteria get cleared and the acid also washes out to prevent canker sores.
How Often can You Repeat: Repeat the process once daily for best results.
What is the Best Time to Use: The best time for it to be used is a night, as it will remain undisturbed for the entire night.
Precautions: Using baking soda might sting a little. Just be a little careful while you apply it. It has high levels of sodium so limit its quantity. Rinse your mouth after using it.
[ Read: How to Use Baking Soda for Canker Sore ]
2. Essential Oil for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- Take 8 drops each of peppermint and eucalyptus essential oil.
- Mix it with 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil or you can even take olive oil.
- A mist spraying bottle made of glass.
- Mix all the oils well. And put it in the bottle.
- You can apply the oil mix on the sore directly either by spraying or by a clean finger.
- You can even dilute the oil mix using coconut oil. This is mentioned here because many people find the mix very strong and use a carrier oil to dilute it.
- You can also use a cotton ball saturated with oil mix. Put this cotton on your sore.
How Often can You Repeat it: You can repeat the process 2-3 or even 4 times a day.
What is the Best Time to Use: After you have your meal. This will give time to the oil to get in.
Precautions: Use optimum quantities of oil, they are high in concentration so do not use in excess. Use carrier oil according to your need.
3. Tea Bags for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- A moist black or green tea bag.
- Prepare your tea as normal
- Refrigerate the tea bag for few minutes.
- Press this tea bag for around 15-20 minutes in the sore.
How Often can You Use it: You can repeat it 2-3 times a day.
Preferred time: Post tea will be the best time for doing this remedy.
Precautions: Refrigerate the tea bag properly. A hot tea bag will give you more pain than relief.
4. Plain Yogurt for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- 1 tbsp. of yogurt enough for one-time use.
- Directly apply yogurt on your sore using a clean finger.
- How many times can this be repeated?
- This is a remedy with no limitation. You can use it as frequently as possible.
Best Time to Use: Any time, if you are free for 10 mins you can use it.
Precautions: There are no precautions as it is a completely natural remedy. This will only provide more and more relief to the sore and good bacteria to the gut. So use it as much as you want.
[ Read: How to Use Coconut Oil for Canker Sores ]
5. Lukewarm Saline Solution for Sore on Roof of Mouth:
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 part of lukewarm water
Process: Dissolve ½ teaspoon of salt in 1 small cup of water and rinse thoroughly.
How Many Times: You can repeat this process 3-4 times daily
Best Time to Use: Rinse before food, early morning and before going to sleep.
How Long Does it Take for a Sore on the Roof of Your Mouth to Heal?
- Healing of a sore depends on its size. Bigger the size, more time it takes to heal.
- It also depends on the cause, for example if it is because of a poor fitting denture, then it will get fresh over and over again.
- In this case it will not be cured until the cause is removed.
- Usually it takes maximum of three weeks for a sore to heal.
- If it does not heal in due time, dentists should immediately be seen.
- This can also be a starting stage of oral cancer.
A wound at outer body is still easily managed. However, a wound in the inner body that to the roof of your mouth is really annoying and painful. You might require the consultation of a professional but for the initial relief from them you can use the home remedies that we gave you. Home remedies have always been highly rated by elders and who knows, your sore might just go away without any professional help.