The lips are the driest spot on our face. While the face is covered in a relatively thick, protective layer of skin, the lips are virtually naked in comparison. Therefore, most of us need lots of help to keep our lips smooth. Also, water loss from the lips is three to ten times higher than from other parts of the face or body! These facts combined with climate changes (winter dryness) contribute to making dry lips a recurrent and persistent problem.
Sun damage is often one of the main reasons for your lips to become dry and chapped which is why it is very important to carry a lip balm with SPF 15 or a lip gloss with you at all times. However, many lip balms are either barely effective or worsen the condition, so a natural remedy is always more welcome.
Table of Contents
Does Coconut Oil Help in Relieving Chapped Lips?
Oil glands are usually missing from our lips because of which it tends to dry up quickly. Dehydration, smoking, bad lip behavior, vitamin deficiency, weather change are also important factors that lead to chapped lips.
Coconut oil is an edible oil extracted from the Kernel or meat of mature coconuts is the source from which coconut oil is extracted. It is an edible oil. Its saturated fat content is high, which makes it slow to oxidize and, hence, resistant to rancidification. It has various applications. It is especially very beneficial for skin and hair.
- Coconut oil contains a high amount of minerals which gives the required moisture to the lips.
- There is medium fatty acid present that reinforces The lipid skin layer on the lips is reinforced due to the presence of medium fatty acids in it.
- The oil acts as a thick layer around the chapped and dried lips which protects it from the cold air.
- The oil contains vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant.
- The oil contains various antibacterial and anti fungal properties which stops any bacterial growth in the cracks of the lips.
- The oil is very cheap and it is easily available.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Chapped Lips?
Lip balms are a temporary solace for chapped lips. They generally do more harm than good. Coconut oil is a natural remedy that nurtures your lips very well and it a product that is present in nearly all households of India.
Directions for Coconut Oil Use:
1. Coconut Oil With Sea Salt:
This acts as a very good scrub and has a soothing affect.
- Mix one tablespoon of solidified coconut oil with one tablespoon of sea salt.
- Apply the mixture and gently scrub your lips in a circular motion.
- Wash away the mixture and pat dry your lips.
- Repeat the process three times a week.
2. Coconut Oil With Olive Oil:
Both the oils are rich in anti oxidants and protect the delicate skin very well.
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut oil along with one tablespoon of olive oil and one fourth tablespoon of honey.
- Blend them well so that the make a smooth paste.
- Store it and apply it whenever your lips feel dry.
3. Coconut Oil With Vanilla:
This is an interesting lip balm that is both affective and aromatic
- Mix one tablespoon of mango butter, two tablespoon of bee wax, two tablespoon of coconut oil in a pot.
- Put the ingredients in a double boiler.
- Stir the pot to mix the ingredients well
- Remove the pot from the heat and add one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Store the mixture in pots and refrigerate it.
- Use as frequently as required.
4. Coconut Oil With Red Plum Oil:
This balm will sure add a beautiful natural color to the lips and heal it at the sane time.
- Mix one tablespoon each of coconut oil and beeswax and one teaspoon of red plum oil.
- Put the mixture in a double boiler and stir it well.
- When they blend completely, take it off the heat and store it in pots.
- Use whenever required.
Tips and Precautions:
Though coconut oil is one of the best alternative to cosmetics it does not come without its side effects. More people a becoming aware of the side effects of this oil. Here are some tips for you.
- Do not consume the oil as it tends to increase the bad cholesterol level and intestinal disorders.
- If you are allergic to coconut oil then avoid using this product at all.
Because of its mild flavor, you might be tempted to lick your lips which in turn miht worsen the condition of your chapped lips.
- 11 Natural Remedies To Exfoliate Your Lips Right At Home
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Dark Circles Under Eyes?
- Simple and Natural Way to Use Coconut Oil for Blackheads
- How To Treat Keratosis Pilaris With Coconut Oil