Garlic is a very commonly used home ingredient in getting rid of common cold and flu. Here we will discuss the various methods of methods of using garlic for colds at home.
Does Garlic Work for Colds?
Garlic contains several antioxidants, vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, and allicin. It reduces the occurrence of colds and cures them very fast.
How to Use Garlic for Colds:
1. Ginger and Garlic for Colds:
- 2 inches of ginger finely minced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon of unpasteurized honey
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Put all the ingredients into the boiling cup of water
- Let it soak for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Strain the liquid and let it cool for a bit
- Chew the ingredients with 1 tablespoon of honey and ingest it
- Drink the liquid next.
Repetitions: Repeat once daily.
Benefit: Ginger stimulates perspiration in the body which helps to get rid of the cold faster.
[ Read: How to Use Ginger for Colds ]
2. Onion and Garlic for Colds:
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- Half of an onion crushed
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon of crushed peppercorn
- Mix together all the ingredients
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix them together again
- Have a small portion of the mixture 2 times a day.
- Store the excess in a refrigerator.
- Bring it to room temperature before consuming again
Benefit: It contains quercetin which is a powerful antioxidant that helps in recovering from the cold.
3. Honey and Garlic for Colds:
- 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoons powdered turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup raw honey
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl
- Let it rest for 20 minutes
- Mix them together again
- You must have this mixture over a period of 3 days.
- Refrigerate the excess.
Benefit: The anti bacterial properties of honey help the immune system to fight the germs faster.
[ Read: How to Take Turmeric for Colds ]
4. Chilli and Garlic for Colds:
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of minced onion
- 2 cayenne chillies
- 2 cups of vinegar
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seed and black peppercorns
- In a glass jar put the garlic, onion, cayenne chillies, mustard, and peppercorns
- Mix them well
- Pour the vinegar
- There must be 1/2 inch of liquid space above the ingredients
- Cover with a plastic lid only.
- Let the mixture rest for two weeks
- Strain the mixture and squeeze all the liquid from the mixture
- Add half cup honey
- Store in a glass jar with a plastic lid
- Consume 2 tablespoon daily till healed.
Benefit: Chilli has powerful decongesting properties that removes the congestion.
5. Garlic Soup for Colds:
- 10 cloves of peeled garlic
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped medium-sized onion
- 2 peeled and chopped medium potato
- 5 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Cover with foil and roast it for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, chop remaining garlic and put it in the saucepan
- Add the onions and potatoes
- Cook over medium flame till vegetables are soft and begin to brown
- Add the chicken broth salt, pepper and lemon juice
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook till potatoes are soft
- Puree the soup.
- Add lemon juice.
- Have 1 bowl of soup twice a day
6. Garlic Tea for Colds:
- 3 cloves of garlic cut in half
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- Boil the water with the garlic cloves in a medium-sized saucepan.
- After boiling for a minute turn off the heat
- Add the honey and lemon juice
- Strain the liquid
- Drink ½ cup if it three times a day
- Refrigerate the excess and warm it before drinking.
7. Clove of Garlic for Colds:
- 1 clove of garlic
- Finely chop the garlic cloves
- Put it all in your mouth, and chew and swallow it all at once
- You can even gnaw on fresh garlic if the taste does not bother you
Do Garlic Pills Work for Colds?
- Garlic pills are as effective as garlic itself. Each garlic pill is as effective as 4800 mg of fresh garlic but it takes time to start working.
These are some of the common methods of using garlic for colds. You can use them to benefit your health.