So feeling bloated? Dealing with constipation all your life, right? This is quite a common issue in today’s digitalized world where there is no physical activity. Due to that, the stomach and intestines find it hard to crush the food into pieces as a result of which constipation occurs. Over 20% of population is getting affected that takes a toll on your overall health.(1)
Remedies for constipation include heavy fiber food, laxatives, apple, water, and many more other products. Adding them in your routine will make you poop fast. So get rid of constipation with these 20 foods, check them out:
20 Healthy Foods That Make You Poop Fast
One of the main reasons on constipation is not drinking enough water in a day. It is very important to drink at least 8-9 glasses of water per day especially in summers because the body loses water in the form of sweat. Other than water, you can go for lemon water that keeps you hydrated and full. Not only water, but any liquid without added sugar is good for the body.(2)
Apples contain fiber which helps the intestines to pass stool in a better way. Also, it promotes bowel movements and because apple has pectin, a soluble fiber, it is perfect in laxative effect.
Pectin improves digestive health and also reduces the symptoms of constipation. You can take apples in any form like topping for yogurt or some nutritious snack. As they say, An apple a day keeps the doctor away, is very true. If you consume one apple daily, you will automatically get rid of many unknown health problems.(3)
[ Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Constipation ]
Kiwi promotes regularity as it is extremely high in fiber. For 2.3 grams of fiber, one medium kiwi is enough. Have kiwi and wait for it to stimulate digestive tract movement. Consuming kiwi for 4 weeks twice daily will show tremendous results to cut constipation. Also, it speeds up transit time of intestines and improves constipation symptoms. If you haven’t tried kiwi in your whole life, go for it and enjoy its citrus taste. You might not like kiwi fruit if you sweet tooth is not fond of sour items.(4)
[ Read: How to Increase Metabolism ]
4. Flax Seeds
Flax seeds have numerous health benefits like high fiber content and promotion of regularity. 1 tbsp of flax seeds has 3 grams of both soluble and insoluble fiber. In a study conducted on mice, there were good effects on constipation over 14 days period. While the stool frequency and weight was increased, it also speed up intestinal transit. Consume flax seeds on soups, oats, and yogurt to increase the fiber intake.(5)
[ Read: Do Bananas Cause or Relieve Constipation ]
Beans must never be avoided as they are one of the best high fiber foods. With numerous vitamins present in beans, your body will respond in a healthy manner. Plus, the high fiber content makes the stool heavy that pass down your GIT easily.(6)
Prunes contain 2 grams of fiber each ounce and a good source of sorbitol. While sorbitol improves constipation by drawing water into the intestines, it also spurs bowel movement. Prunes are perfect to soften stool, increase stool frequency, and improve stool consistency as per a study conducted. Also, prunes have showed improvements in digestive system of constipated people. Garnish the salads with prunes and enjoy the delicious taste. Other than that, a small glass of prune juice without sugar has multiple health benefits along with constipation busting.(7)
[ Read: Prunes for Constipation Relief ]
Oranges, as you all know, have high fiber content. Not only oranges, but all the citrus fruits like grapefruit and tangerines promote the growth of good colon microbiota. Also, it increases fecal mass as well as make for a commendable snack and dessert choice. People who are suffering from constipation should definitely consume oranges in good quantity on a regular basis. Oranges make your face glow as well if you eat one daily.(8)
8. Full Fat Milk
A study conducted at the Nutrition Institute suggests consuming calcium to get rid of constipation. While full fat milk has a plenty of calcium required for the body to metabolize fat, the increased intake of calcium makes you poop fast. The fat instead of sticking around the body passes down easily and fast.(9)
9. Whole Grain Cereal
Eating whole grain cereal in the morning is an excellent remedy for constipation. While whole grain cereal contains a healthy dose of fiber, it is best to relieve constipation. The doctors suggest oats and fiber cereals in the breakfast for weight loss and starting the day with healthy meal instead of those fried products.(10)
Not only does peppermint leaves your mouth fresh but also has soothing effects on bad stomach. The University of Maryland Medical Center, in a research, showed that people suffering from IBS should definitely consume peppermint. The muscles of intestinal tract get loosen up with the intake of peppermint making it easier for you to poop fast.(11)
Bananas are my favorite snack food. Whenever I feel hungry in the morning or noon or for that matter, any time of the day, banana is my go-to food. As it is rich in fiber content, it normalizes bowel movement and also pushes the body waste to go down easily. Not only does it help in making stools easier to pass, it also helps in diarrhea. It binds anyone suffering from diarrhea and is also an amazing food for healthy microbes present in your gut. Because bananas contain probiotics, they are important for the body.(12)
Nuts are all time favorites and pistachios are superb as they are similar to probiotics. With probiotics, the healthy bacteria in the digestive tract are increased thereby making you poop fast. Plus, the gastrointestinal tract performs healthily. So ready to go to the supermarket and buy a pack of pistachios this weekend?
I love avocados. They are high in magnesium and draw moisture into the digestive tract. Due to this, it softens stool and increases the flow which makes it easy and fast to poop.
Figs contain fiber and they are recommended for those suffering from IBS. In figs, the sugar content is relatively high but it’s natural and because the fiber content is high, the total amount gets balanced. Plus, figs are superb for munching when there is nothing to eat. Sit in front of your television and eat a few while watching your favorite series. But make sure not to go over the board as over consumption is not suggested.
Lentils are loaded with fiber and make an incredible addition to your routine diet. Boil the lentils and consume on daily basis as it increase the production of butyric acid which further promote bowel movements. The butyric acid speeds up intestinal transit making you stay away from constipation.(13)
16. Coconut Water
Coconut water is an excellent remedy to get rid of constipation and poop fast. It has hydrating properties and is a brilliant alternative to sugary drinks like tea, coffee or juice. Also, coconut water increases fluid consumption that helps your stomach digest better. Either you can go for fresh or canned coconut water to enjoy commendable benefits for the body. Choose the one that suits you best.(14)
17. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes contain 4 gm of fiber that is mostly insoluble. It enhances bowel movements and the intake of sweet potato showed improvement in leukemia patients. Also, the people consuming sweet potato stay comfortable and less strained throughout the day. You can consume sweet potato in any form i.e. mashed, roasted, saute or baked.(15)
Yogurt is a probiotic that is well known to improve stool frequency as per a study conducted in 2014. Add it in your daily regime and you will never face any stool issues in your upcoming life. Add a little sugar or salt in yogurt if you don’t like it neat.
19. Cashew Butter
Cashew butter is a rich food item which is loaded with nutrients and cream. To deal with your stool issues, this nutty butter is one of the most beneficial products. While it contains magnesium and other nutrients, your poop flow is made better and fast.
20. Leafy Greens
Spinach, kale, argula, and other leafy green vegetables contain fiber which help you poop fast. It is because the fiber adds bulk to stool making it easier to get through the system.(16)
No doubts though! Constipation is quite common and instead of taking medications, these above mentioned foods will help a lot in pooping fast. Yes, medications are helpful but they pose health risks at some point of life which you may not realize now. To avoid any harsh effects, we suggest consuming these foods and lead a healthy life.
Regularity in life is very important and once you do that, it will be easier staying healthy. People taking high fiber, healthy diet, and workout never face constipation issues. Drink a lot of water and add these foods in your routine to increase stool frequency and eliminate constipation.
- Epidemiology and management of chronic constipation in elderly patients- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4459612/
- How much water should you drink?- https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/how-much-water-should-you-drink
- Apples- https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/apples/
- Kiwifruit for Irritable Bowel Syndrome- https://nutritionfacts.org/2012/10/18/kiwi-fruit-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome/
- Flaxseed oil alleviates dextran sulphate sodium-induced ulcerative colitis in rats- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1756464619305262
- Health Benefits of Plant-Based Nutrition: Focus on Beans in Cardiometabolic Diseases- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7915747/
- The effect of prunes on stool output, gut transit time and gastrointestinal microbiota: A randomised controlled trial- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29398337/
- Effects of Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics on Human Health- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5622781/
- Effects of calcium supplementation on body weight: a meta-analysis- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27733391/
- The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons’ Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Constipation- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27145304/
- A review of the bioactivity and potential health benefits of peppermint tea (Mentha piperita L.)- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16767798/
- Diets for Constipation- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4291444/
- High Fiber Diet- https://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/Surgery/GenSurgery/HighFiberDiet
- Use of coconut water (Cocus nucifera L) for the development of a symbiotic functional drink- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7110305/
- Comparative analysis of nutritional quality of five different cultivars of sweet potatoes (Ipomea batatas (L) Lam) in Sri Lanka- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3951594/
- Therapeutic Benefits and Dietary Restrictions of Fiber Intake: A State of the Art Review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9268622/
You Might Also Like:
- Why Do You Feel Pooping In The Stomach
- Best Foods for Constipation Relief in Kids
- 10 Healthy Foods for Gallbladder Problems
- 10 Foods High in Probiotics for Better Gut Health