Outdoor activities are fun during summer but often we get over exposed to the UV rays, causing sunburn. When more exposed to sun the melanin production in our exposed skin increases and causes sunburn. Sunburns are associated with darkening, reddening, blisters and stinging sensation.
ACV’s has been trusted by traditions and is very well known for its healing benefits. ACV is made from a fermenting the apple juice and by adding acid forming bacteria etc. ACV’s alkaline/ acetic properties ,Vitamin C and Vitamin B gives a good astringent affect which has a healing and cleansing effect on skin, hence is very effective in treating sunburn.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Sunburn:
Apple cider vinegar could be used with variety of natural ingredients which will work best for your skin to treat sunburn. Below are some of them:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar – The Simple way:
Raw ACV (pure and unfiltered ) vinegar is always more effective. This is the simplest recipe wherein you will require 1 cup ACV and few cotton balls for application. Apply this to the affected areas. Alternatively, ACV could also be diluted into water for bath. The goodness and nutrients of ACV helps soothe skin and heals the sunburn.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar with Essential oils:
For this recipe you will need the below ingredients:
- Cotton cloths
- Raw ACV
- Coconut, Peppermint and lavender Oils
Wet the cotton cloth with cold water and sprinkle some ACV onto the cloth now wrap around this cloth to the affected areas. It will give an instant relief to the stinging sensation. After a few minutes, take out the cloth a mix few drops of essential oils on your inner palm, mix and rub in the sun-burnt areas. Essential oils give a cooling and healing touch to the sun-burnt skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and the Herbs:
ACV works the best when combined with other soothing herbs like Mint, Lavender.
For this recipe bring 1 cup of water to boil and add Mint leaves, lavender flowers and dried plantain leaves. Let this mixture cool down and strain it. Add equal amount of ACV in this mixture and store this in a spray container and use it directly on the sun-burnt areas.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Aloe Vera:
Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon of raw ACV , 1 teaspoon of lavender oil , 1/3 cup of Aloe Vera gel and oil from 2 Vitamin E capsules. Massage this mixture onto the affected areas and leave it for 15 mins and wash off with cool water. The left over concoction can be stored in refrigerator for further user.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda and Peppermint:
Peppermint has the natural menthol cooling effect whereas baking soda antiseptic and soothing properties and along with ACV with its alkaline effect provides instant relief soothe sunburns. Prepare a mixture of ¼ cup of baking soda and ACV each and add few drops of peppermint oil to it. Apply this mixture to the sun-burnt areas. Keep it for a while and Later on wash it off.
ACV indeed is a very beneficial ingredient with its power packed healing properties. Sun damage to the skin could sometimes be much severe and intense. Always protect yourself from the harmful rays especially in peak summer. The rays are much intense from 10 am to 3 pm. Take utmost care and protect yourself while outdoors.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) 15 or higher while going outdoors.
- Keep your body hydrated with plenty of fluids and water intake.
- Don’t burst any blister. Always use an antibacterial soap to prevent any kind of secondary infection
- Protect your eyes with sunglasses while going outdoors and also wear light colored clothes which don’t absorb much light and produces less heat.
So now enjoy the sun and don’t worry about getting Sunburn ever again!
- 9 Surprising Beauty Benefits of Baking Soda That You Should Definitely Know
- 6 Amazing Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss: Know How It Works
- 7 Suprising Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Digestion Problems