Girls who have curly hair tend to believe that heat and chemicals are required to straighten their hair. However, this is not true. There are ways to straighten your hair with natural ingredients. Obviously, it might not last long but if you want straight hair just for one occasion then natural treatments are the best. One such natural ingredient is corn flour.
Does Corn Flour good for Hair straightening?
Corn starch is a commonly used ingredient in the kitchen. However, it has also been used in homemade and beauty recipes. The primary components of corn flour are zinc, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and calcium. It also has antioxidants like Vitamin A, B, C, and E.
These provide it with the properties necessary to control the frizz of the hair and offer softness and shine. This flour is capable of strengthening your hair, too. However, you should know that it doesn’t straighten hair completely. It controls curls and loosens the hair.(1)
[ Read: How to Straighten Hair with Milk ]
How to Use Corn Flour for Hair Straightening?
In case you have frizzy and fluffy hair, you can use cornstarch mask to smoothen it. It is going to leave your hair smooth, loose, soft, and bright. However, you need to keep in mind that it is not going to give the same effect as keratin treatment or ironing.
Coconut Milk and Corn Flour for Hair Straightening
Coconut milk has several health benefits. Apart from being good for the body, it is great for your hair. If you create a pack using corn flour and coconut milk, it will help you to straighten your hair.
- Corn flour,
- Coconut milk, and
- lemon juice.
How to Do:
- To prepare the mask of coconut and corn flour, you will have to take a saucepan and add olive oil and coconut milk.
- Blend this till this forms a homogeneous mix. Take another bowl and add lemon juice and corn flour in it. Mix it well to form a paste. Make sure that there are no lumps in it. Keep mixing till the lumps dissolve.
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and then add the mix of lemon juice and cornstarch. Stir it well to mix the ingredients.
- Keep stirring till the mix thickens. Once it has the consistency of a hair conditioner, take it out. Allow it to cool down before applying it on your hair.
[ Read: Coconut Milk for Hair Straightening ]
How to Apply:
- Use a brush or your fingertip to apply the mask on the hair. Cover it from the roots to the tips. Now, cover the hair using a shower cap and then place a hot towel over it.
- Let the mask sit for 2 hours to be absorbed. Thereafter, rinse it off with shampoo and conditioner. Once the hair is dry, it will be smoother and less frizzy. The longer you use the mask the better is the result.
- You get an instant result with the corn flour mask and it will continue to stay long if you maintain it properly and use it from time to time.
Best Time to Apply: Before bath.
No of Repetitions: Use it twice in a week to get the best result.
Benefits of Corn Flour for Hair
When it comes to hair care, corn flour is an excellent natural ingredient that can offer a range of benefits. Here are just a few of the ways in which corn flour can help to improve the condition of your hair:
1. Corn flour can help to add volume and body tolimp, fine hair. When used as a natural hair mask, it can help to thicken and volumize your locks.
2. Corn flour is also beneficial for hair that is prone to grease and oiliness. When used as a dry shampoo, it can help to absorb excess oils and leave your hair feeling clean and refreshed.
3. Corn flour can also help to soothe and protect a dry, itchy scalp. When used as a hair mask or added to your regular shampoo, it can help to hydrate and nourish your scalp.
4. Corn flour can also help to strengthen and repair damaged hair. When used as a deep conditioning treatment, it can help to replenish lost nutrients and revitalize your locks.
5. Finally, corn flour can also help to protect your hair from heat damage. When used as a heat protestant spray, it can create a barrier between your hair and hot styling tools.
So, as you can see, there are many benefits of corn flour for hair. If you are looking for a natural way to improve the condition of your locks, then corn flour is definitely worth a try!
Side Effects of Corn Flour on Hair
While corn flour is generally considered to be safe for most people, there are a few potential side effects that you should be aware of. These include:
1. Dryness: If used in excess, corn flour can dry out your hair and scalp. This is why it’s important to use it sparingly and to always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner or hair mask.(2)
2. Build-up: If not removed properly, corn flour can also lead to product build-up on your scalp and in your hair. This can cause your locks to appear greasy and can eventually lead to scalp irritation.
3. Allergic reactions: In rare cases, some people may be allergic to corn flour. If you experience any redness, itching, or swelling after using it, discontinue use immediately and consult your doctor.
Overall, corn flour is a safe and effective natural hair care ingredient that can offer a range of benefits. However, it’s important to use it sparingly and to always follow up with a conditioner or hair mask to prevent dryness and build-up. If you experience any allergic reactions, discontinue use immediately and consult your doctor.
- Phytochemical Composition: Antioxidant Potential and Biological Activities of Corn- https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/62653.pdf
- Effect of methylene chloride sorption on the mechanical properties of poly- https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/app.1988.070350313
You Might Also Like:
- Essential Oils For Corns
- How To Get Marshmallows Out Of Hair
- Best Flat Iron For Hair Straightener
- Best Straightener For Your Curly Hair
- Best Orange Hair Dye For Your Hair
- Why Do Females Eat Corn Starch?
- Coconut Oil for Hair Straightening
- The 13 Best Hair Straightening Brushes
- 7 Best Edge Controls For Straightened Natural Hair
- 7 Best Shampoos for Hair Smoothening