Organic is the word these days for casual ailments such skin problems. People nowadays rely more on homemade remedies and treatments instead of allopathic drugs. However, certain skin conditions, such as acne may not be a pure result diet, skin type, or environmental problems. In fact, acne could well be caused by hormonal changes in women at the very early stage. Let us read to know how effective is spironolactone for acne.
Do you remember when was the first time you rushed to your mom with a frightened look? Well, nope, it’s not when you faced the menstrual pain for the first time. But, it is when you saw a red bump on your face; on cheeks and chin. “It’s hormonal break out in the form of acne”, a wise mother would tell her teenage daughter.
There are so many ways to treat acne due to hormonal changes. But one must look for a remedy that brings a permanent and effective solution. Spironolactone is one such remedy that hasn’t failed many and has worked women of all ages.
Table of Contents
How Does Spironolactone Work for Acne?
- Basically developed for hypertension and blood pressure, Spironolactone has anti-androgen properties that work excellent in acne by countering hormones that cause acne.
- Spironolactone blocks some of the man hormones in the women body that is responsible for hormonal acne by delivering progestin.
- Since Spiro is a diuretic, it causes lots of urination at a frequent pace. You also may face menstrual break out due to Spironolactone.
1. How to Take Spironolactone for Acne:
There are five steps to consider while using Spironolactone for hormonal acne.
(i). Two-Part Dosage:
- There are ways how the body responds to the medication.
- In case of Spironolactone full potential can be achieved by dividing a pill into two doses, 50 mg pill each time.
- You should consider one in the morning, which another dose in the late afternoon.
(ii). Feed The Full Meal:
- Spironolactone needs dilution as it may affect your digestive system.
- Therefore, it’s advisable to take the medicine with a full meal that delivers enough nutrients to handle the impact of the Spiro.
(iii). Water, Water, and Water:
- Being diuretic, Spironolactone exerts lots of water out if body. If you will not take water continuously, it may cause a headache.
- Avoid fruit juice or other sweet drinks, which may have adverse effects on blood sugar.
(iv). 3 PM Deadline:
- Never take the second pill after 3 pm. Hormonal impulse is higher in the morning and therefore Spiro works best in the morning.
- During the day, hormones aren’t as much in action as in the morning.
- That means, it’s not effective to take Spiro after 3 pm, else it might cause a headache and insomnia.
(v). Take Care of Potassium and Salt:
- Spironolactone affects your potassium level in the body sparing it.
- Which means you won’t get rid of potassium through urination as much as you do normally.
- The same goes with the level of salt in the body.
2. Doxycycline And Spironolactone For Acne:
Antibiotic properties with tetracycline make the Doxycycline drug. Thence, it is helpful in fighting against bacteria. It is said that the combination of spironolactone and doxycycline helpful for redness on the skin.
- Fights with the bacteria
- Stops the Growth of acne
- Stops acne from spreading further
- Speeds up the healing process
- Does not suit all skin types, depending on the skin type
- It just acts as second fiddle, not as the primary remedy
- Does not heal acne without spironolactone
Tips (if any):
- It is necessary to take the skin test before you apply it on your face.
- If skin irritation occurs rinse it immediately with water.
[ Read: How to Use Tea Tree oil for Acne ]
3. Metformin And Spironolactone For Acne:
This is one of the most debated combinations for acne treatment. Each one has a different opinion. However, when it comes to the combination of the medicines, it might not suit everyone.
- Heals acne without spironolactone
- Brings back the smooth skin
- Helps in weight loss
- One may suffer from irregular periods while on medication.
- Time taking process.
- The body takes around 5 months to get used to of the medication.
Tips (if any):
- Do not go above 100 mg while consuming the medicine.
- You might have side effects like oversleeping yet not feeling refreshed.
4. Ampicillin And Spironolactone For Acne:
Ampicillin has antibacterial properties. However, the bacteria might become resistant, but now your body while consuming the medicines.
- Works without spironolactone
- Fights against the bacteria
- Does not offer many effects on the Ames
- Consumes a lot of time
Tips (if any): Do not stop the medication once started without doctor’s prescription.
How Long to See Results From Spironolactone for Acne?
Spironolactone isn’t a magical pill as most the bloggers suggest on the web. The antibiotic takes at least 4 weeks to show the first sign of positive results. To show the full range of benefits of Spironolactone, you should be waiting for at least 12 weeks.
The purpose of the article is to inform and educate the people about some of the prevalent drugs for acne. We do not recommend or endorse medicine through our blogs and articles. Do consult a doctor before applying any kind of medicines.