Valerian is a natural herb that native to European and Asian continent. It has been used to cure a number of sleep related disorders. Valerian used as a perfume ingredient in the 16th century. Insomnia can be really difficult to deal with and Valerian aid seems to be a great method to cure this. It is helpful in healing anxiety. Let us read to know how effective is valerian for sleep.
Does Valerian Really Work for Sleep?
- Using Valerian can be a good remedy to insomnia. One of the theories say that sleeplessness or the trouble while occur due to anxiety.
- Valerian root is deemed as magical in sleeping terms as it relaxes the mind, cures anxiety and eventually help in a proper sleeping.
- It works as a sedative for our nervous system.
- A research on Valerian root found that it is not just a herb to cure sleep, but it is also useful in treating a wide range of stress and anxiety related problems.
How to Take Valerian for Sleep:
1. Valerian Root for Sleep:
Valerian root is a good herb for the people who have sleeping instability due to either psychological reasons or others. Valerian tea has potential to relax your mind and give you a fine sleep.
- Dried Valerian root
Preparation time: 15-18 minutes.
- Take a tea pot and fill it with hot water.
- Fill infusion device with valerian roots. (In case you are steeping without a device, wait till the fourth point to add the valerian roots).
- Add a one cup or 8 Oz filtered water in the kettle to boil it.
- Now empty tea pot and add valerian root to container. Pour water from kettle over valerian root, and then cover.
- Then steep for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove your infusion device from the tea pot.
- Add honey to taste.
How it works: Valerian tea is strong sedative drink, which gives your a fine sleep, relieving your mind.
Repetition time: Take it 2 hours before bed for the best results. Usually the effect starts to be shown within few days.
[ Read: How to Drink Chamomile Tea for Sleep ]
2. Melatonin and Valerian for Sleep:
- Valerian and Melatonin are two of the most used and common things that people use to take a peaceful and relaxed sleep.
- Melatonin, unlike Valerian is a hormone that is naturally produced in body, however it is also synthesized in labs. People usually compare the two because of the similar effects.
- There is no as such recipe of the two, but they can certainly to taken as a combination to beat the sleepless nights and insomnia kind of conditions.
How to take:
- You can take them tablets with water.
- One Capsule in one evening is advisable for a proper sleep.
- An alternative method of capsules can prevent body to be monotonous to one medicine.
How it works: The alternate method doesn’t allow to create a monotony. Both Valerian and Melatonin works for a better sleep.
Normal dosage: Take one tablet every evening, almost one hour before bed.
Tips: It is important to understand that the dosage of the two should not be taken at the same time. You can take Valerian one evening and Melatonin other.
[ Read: How to Take Melatonin for Insomnia ]
3. Ashwagandha and Valerian for Sleep:
Along with Valerian, Ashwagandha is a very powerful and effective herb. It has been in use since ages in the Indian subcontinent. It contains multiple health benefits, it is often deemed as a magical herb. Ashwagandha is available in Powder and tablet forms. Ashwagandha and Valerian are quite effective in treating the sleep disorders.
Preparation time: 5-8 minutes.
- Take one cup of water and put it on boil
- Add some valerian roots
- Add few leaves of Ashwagandha (if you have ashwagandha powder, take it with milk).
- Wait for few moments before drinking
How it works: Ashwagandha is a natural healer which removes the stress and anxiety, valerian induces sleep.
Repetition time: Take it daily for several days.
Tips: Ashwagandha is a powerful herb, so avoid the overdose.
4. Kava and Valerian for Sleep:
Kava is one of the plant or herb which is known to relieve anxiety and stress, helping in a relaxed sleep. There are ways of taking Kava and Valerian for sleep, but the one with water is the simplest one.
Preparation time: 6-8 minutes.
- Boil one cup water till it gets lukewarm.
- Add kava power and valerian powder.
- Add honey before drinking
How it works: Kava is known to induce sleep and help in removing stress, so does the Valerian.
Repetition time: Drink for few days to start the effect.
5. Magnesium and Valerian for Sleep:
Magnesium is a common and abundant mineral on the Planet. Magnesium is present in a number of foods. It is also a great method to have a relaxed and good sleep as it also cures anxiety and relaxes brain. Both Magnesium and Valerian root are available in capsules and can be taken together as a combination for great results.
- Magnesium capsules
- Valerian root capsules
- Take a magnesium capsule. And take 3 capsules of Valerian root capsules.
Note: Both are advised to take with water.
How it works: They both have properties to relieve anxiety and stress, that helps in a good sleep.
6. Valerian and Passion Flower for Sleep:
Valerian and Passion flower is also a great approach towards having a fine sleep. Passion flower is used to cure a number of problems including Blood Pressure, inflammation insulin levels etc. Here is the recipe of Valerian root and Passion flower for a better sleep.
- Passion flower
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
- Boil one cup of water
- Place 1 teaspoon of passion flower and 1 teaspoon of Valerian root into the tea pot.
- Pour the water into the tea pot and let steep for 5-8 minutes.
- Add honey to taste.
How it works: The tea is quite effective and efficient in giving a very nice sleep.
Normal Dosage: Twice or thrice a day would be the best option to cure anxiety. Take one hour before bed if you are suffering from insomnia.
Sleeping disorders has become a problem of many people today. Factors including anxiety, pain, and stress of life make sleep uncomfortable. A research showed a huge number of people suffer from sleep disorders. Valerian root seems to be a healthy and natural way to get it sorted. Valerian root is quite effective and relieve stress and anxiety to get you better sleep.