Blackheads are certainly not a beauty spot anybody would want! They’re formed of dead skin cells and oil (or sebum) secreted by sebaceous gland in the pores of the hair follicle. They make your skin look dull, patchy and ugly. Besides other chemical treatments that can be easily availed at your nearby salon, little DIY tricks can be tried at to ward off blackheads.
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate works as an exfoliating agent for the skin. Containing zero harsh chemicals, it works as an effective cleanser leaving the skin soft and smooth.
Does Baking Soda Help In Reducing Blackheads?
Well yes! It is one of the most effective ways to banish blackheads especially for those with an oily skin. Blackheads keep coming back and it is obviously not recommended to use harsh chemicals each time.
- It unclogs the pores of the dead skins leaving the skin soft and smooth.
- It prevents blackheads by neutralizing the skin’s pH level which in turn results in producing less oil.
- It has no harsh chemicals and hence it leaves your skin soft and supple.
How To Use Baking Soda For Blackheads:
Though blackheads are nothing to worry about but who doesn’t want a clear and flawless skin? Try these simple remedies at home in case you are suffering from blackheads.
Baking Soda With Water:
- Combine equal quantites of baking soda and water to form a paste.
- Using lukewarm water, wash your face thoroughly.
- Apply the paste all over your face and leave it for about 3 minutes.
- Gently massage the area around the blackheads for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash off the dried paste with water.
- End this regime by spalshing your face with cold water and applying a mild moisturizer.
Baking Soda With Honey:
- Start making a fine paste by mixing 1 teaspoon each of honey and baking soda and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Apply the paste to the affected areas and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off the mixture with warm water.
Baking Soda With Toothpaste:
- Place a washcloth soaked in warm water on the affected areas.
- Make a paste by taking equal parts of baking soda and tooth paste and 2 parts of water.
- Use a brush (a soft bristled toothbrush) to scrub the affected areas with the paste for a minute.
- Wash it off with water.
Baking Soda With Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Take apple cider vinegar and baking soda in equal measures and mix them well.
- Apply the thick paste on your face but ensure that you stay away formt he eye region.
- Let it sit for around 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and apply some moisturizer.
Baking Soda With Lemon And Sugar :
- Take 1/4th cup of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons each of sugar and baking soda.
- Combine all the above ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Massage it on the affected areas and leave it for about 15 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse it off.
Tips And Precautions:
Though baking soda is a common home remedy to keep blackheads at bay, one should go through the following points before including this in your beauty regime.
- Sometimes, it adds to the pH levels of the skin.
- Excessive use of baking soda can cause dryness to the skin.
It might lead to skin irritation. Hence, a patch test is always recommended before applying it on the affected area.