Healthy teeth and a bright smile play a major role in making you feel confident while interacting with others in your personal or professional lives. Discolored teeth are one of the major concerns so we will check how home remedies like using baking soda and coconut oil can help.
Why are Coconut Oil and Baking Soda Effective Remedies in Teeth Whitening?
Baking soda(1) is a mild abrasive which works overtime for whitening the teeth. It can be effective in stain removal. Similarly, coconut oil(2) has antifungal and anti-microbial characteristics. Thus practicing oil pulling with it, can not just kill the bacteria but also eliminates bad breath.
- Baking soda: 1 tablespoon
- Coconut oil: 1 tablespoon
Method of Using:
- Create a paste by mixing a tablespoon of coconut oil with a tablespoon of baking soda. Use it for brushing your teeth for 2 minutes, and then rinse the mouth thoroughly using warm water.
- This can be repeated 2-3 times a week for some months.(3)
- Using coconut oil for oil pulling is quite easy as you just need to put a tablespoon of it in your mouth and squish for 15-20 minutes before spitting it off. You can do this every night before sleeping.
- Use a very small amount of some baking soda mixed with water to brush your teeth, to whiten them.
- Check if your toothpaste has any baking soda. In case there is none, you can mix a teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of toothpaste while brushing.
- Continue brushing for two minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly after that. It can be done 1-2 times a week for visible results.
[ Recommended: How To Whiten Your Teeth With Baking Soda ]
- Be cautious of the amount of baking soda used for brushing, as its abrasive nature can damage the teeth’ enamel. After oil pulling the oil needs to spit out.
- Those having any serious tooth issues need to consult a dentist before practicing these remedies at home.
- Those using braces must avoid baking soda as the glue in the braces will soften
Are There Any Side Effects of Using Coconut oil and Baking Soda to Whiten Teeth?
Using a small amount of baking soda combined with little water and brushing it 2-3 times a week is fine but avoid doing this more or using more amount of baking soda as it can damage the teeth enamel.
There are numerous expensive treatments for making the teeth look better. In certain cases, you are bound to use those treatments but in cases like teeth discoloration, it is better to first try the simple home remedies before using the store-bought whiteners. The best part is that it is safe as well as easily doable.
[ Read: 10 Ways to Whiten Your Teeth at Home ]
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Q. Can we expect visible results with baking soda quickly?
Ans: No, you need to use it a couple of times a week for some weeks to feel the change.
Q. Is baking soda safe for teeth whitening?
Ans: Just like any other product, baking soda in excess can have side effects too. So it is better to avoid using it continuously. Stop using it in case you feel irritating in the gums.
- In vitro comparison of natural tooth-whitening remedies and professional tooth-whitening systems- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36942206/
- Effect of coconut oil in plaque related gingivitis — A preliminary report- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4382606/
- The effect of oil pulling with coconut oil to improve dental hygiene and oral health: A systematic review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7475120/
You Might Also Like:
- How To Get Food Out Of Wisdom Teeth Holes
- Can You Eat After Whitening Strips?
- How to Whiten Teeth with Coconut Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Teeth Whitening – Uses, Tips and Precautions
- How to Use Activated Charcoal for Teeth Whitening
- How to Use Turmeric for Teeth Whitening
- Lemon And Baking Soda For Teeth
- 7 Best Toothpastes For Sensitive Teeth