Having stained teeth is one of the common problems which we can see these days. The main reason behind this is unhealthy food habit and lifestyle along with too much intake of tannin in form of tea and coffee. For some, specific medicine consumption can also be the reason for stain. In today’s article we are going to read on how to whiten teeth with coconut oil.
Does Coconut Oil Whiten Teeth?
Lauric acid present in coconut oil is known for attacking all harmful bacteria present in mouth and can cause serious bad breath, tooth decaying and lso gum disease. Coconut oil won’t bleach it removes plaque giving a shinning look to teeth.(1)
How to Use Coconut Oil for Teeth Whitening?
There are so many ways in which coconut oil can be used for whitening the teeth. You can use just the oil or mix it with other ingredients for excellent performance.
1. Brushing Teeth with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is known for attacking the harmful bacteria present in mouth, it is always considered healthy to use small amount of coconut oil daily before toothpaste brushing to keep the gums and teeth healthy.(2)
2. Coconut oil Pulling for Teeth Whitening
Oil pulling is one act in which you swish oil in mouth for about 20 minutes and spit it out. It acts as mouthwash.(3)
- Take one tablespoon coconut oil and put in mouth.
- Now swish oil all over mouth for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Push and pull it right between teeth.
- Spit oil out
- Brush the teeth properly using regular tooth paste.
[ Read: How to Whiten Teeth With Baking Soda ]
3. Turmeric and Coconut Oil to Whiten Teeth
Turmeric is good for gingival inflammation and any dental pain. Along with coconut oil it will soothe the gums and protect from any infection.(4)
- Organic turmeric powder
- Coconut oil
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Take 1/4 the spoon of Turmeric powder
- Mix the turmeric with 1/8th spoon of coconut oil
- Brush your teeth using the mix
- Do not rinse and wait for 5 to 6 minutes to let the turmeric settle on your teeth
- Spit and rinse your mouth
- Brush again with regular toothpaste and rinse
How it work: This mix cleanse the teeth thoroughly and makes gum free from infection.
Repetitions: 2 to 3 times weekly
Best time to Apply: Always at time of brushing.
Tips: If some yellow stain is around corners of mouth, wash it with dental soap and it will erase out.
[ Read: How to Whiten Teeth With Turmeric ]
4. Brush Teeth with Coconut Oil and Baking Soda
Baking soda effectively works for removing stains from teeth surface and make it look more white and clean. It will work slowly and steadily to clear teeth.(5)
- Coconut oil
- Baking Soda
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Take 4 spoon of turmeric powder and mix it with 2 spoon of baking soda
- Add 3 spoon of coconut oil in it and prepare a thick paste
- Brush with this paste and rinse well
How it works: It will clean and whiten teeth naturally, and will protect teeth and gums from infections as well as inflammation and tooth decay.
Repetitions: 2 to 3 times weekly for a month
Best time to Apply: Always at time of brushing
Tips: Do not swallow the mix
5. Coconut Oil and Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening
Activated charcoal takes out toxins as well as impurities from body. It offers mouth an excellent Detox, and whitens enamel without effect of bleaching agents.(6)
- Coconut oil
- Activated charcoal
- Peppermint oil
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Take 2 tsp of Activated charcoal powder
- Mix it with 1 cup full Coconut oil
- Put 20 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- Mix well to make it soft
- Place it in mold of round shape. 2-3 spoon in every mold
- Place it in freezer for 15 mins
- Now take one tab in your mouth and keep chewing till it melts. Keep spreading as it lets all over teeth and tongue for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Spit well
How it work: The tabs work to completely detox the teeth and tongue to remove the stains specially caused due to tannins
Repetitions: Use these once weekly
Best time to Apply: Before brushing.
Tips: Store the Charcoal and coconut tabs in cool dark place to avoid melting and for storing long.
What Kind of Coconut Oil is Good for Teeth?
Micro nutrients present in unrefined coconut oil helps in killing bacteria present in mouth, tooth decay and corrosion of enamel. It is also popular as Streptococcus Mutans. It cleanses the teeth better than refined coconut oil.(7)
It’s true that coconut oil alone and also with other natural ingredients can do wonders for your teeth and make look naturally white. But you need to have patience in noticing the change with time. For old stains you need to visit dentist.
- Oil pulling for maintaining oral hygiene – A review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5198813/
- Effect of coconut oil in plaque related gingivitis — A preliminary report- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4382606/
- Effect of coconut oil in plaque related gingivitis – A preliminary report- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25838632/
- Comparative evaluation of 0.1% turmeric mouthwash with 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate in prevention of plaque and gingivitis: A clinical and microbiological study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3498709/
- The efficacy of baking soda dentifrice in controlling plaque and gingivitis: A systematic review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6850485/
- Role of Coconut Oil Pulling On Oral Health – An Overview- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326338680_Role_of_Coconut_Oil_Pulling_On_Oral_Health_-_An_Overview
You Might Also Like:
- How To Get Food Out Of Wisdom Teeth Holes
- How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Teeth Whitening
- How to Whiten Teeth With Activated Charcoal
- How to Whiten Teeth With Banana Peel
- Lemon And Baking Soda For Teeth
- 7 Best Mouthwashes For Sensitive Teeth
- 7 Best Teeth Whitening for Sensitive Teeth
- 7 Best Toothpastes For Sensitive Teeth