Cellulitis is a skin condition that occurs due to bacterial infection. It affects the skin and spreads underneath the skin surface. Redness, inflammation, tenderness, and pain are the major symptoms of cellulitis.
While there are plenty of medications for cellulitis, essential oils help to manage the symptoms significantly. They work as a natural remedy for this skin condition when used correctly.
Let’s find out more about cellulitis and how some essential oils help in controlling the spread of this awful skin disease.
What Causes Cellulitis?
Cellulitis is a bacterial infection caused by Staphylococcus and Streptococcus. However, other types of bacteria may also cause it. It usually occurs in the deeper layers of the skin, which results in swelling and pain in the affected areas.
Although cellulitis can occur on any part of the body, the lower legs get affected in most cases. The bacteria enter through cuts and breaks in the skin. It could be skin ulcers or surgical wounds.
The initial symptoms are local redness and swelling that gradually spreads and may result in sepsis. If the condition is not addressed promptly, the chances of cellulitis getting severe are very high.
Therefore, here we have listed some of the most effective essential oils for cellulitis and how you can use them to control this bacterial infection.
Essential Oils For Cellulitis
Essential oils are nature’s remedy to rectify cellulitis in its initial stage and prevent its spread.
The antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic effects of certain essential oils work wonders in controlling cellulitis and inhibiting the growth of bacteria.
Why Should You Use Essential Oils For Cellulitis?
Since cellulitis is a bacterial disease, doctors usually prescribe antibiotics for its cure. But, intake of antibiotics can adversely affect health, especially gut health. It is because antibiotics disturb the biome of healthy microbes living in our gut, affecting the entire health.
At the same time, using antibiotics excessively can develop resistance to them. One such example is the evolution of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, which is also the major cause of cellulitis.
Therefore, efforts should be made to control cellulitis naturally through home remedies, and antibiotics should be the last rescue to manage them.
Since essential oils are safe and do not have any side effects, they will not put patients at any risk.
Best Essential Oils For Cellulitis
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Loaded with antimicrobial properties, tea tree essential oil is a potent treatment for cellulitis. It is effective against a plethora of microbes and can fight the bacterial infection that leads to cellulitis.
At the same time, the anti-inflammatory properties help manage swelling and redness of the affected areas.
How To Use?
- Mix two to three drops of tea tree essential oil with coconut oil.
- Apply on the affected areas and let it stay for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Wash off with normal water.
The cooling effect of coconut oil and the properties of tea tree oil provide instant relief from skin irritation and redness.
2. Oregano Oil
The antibacterial profile of oregano oil makes it a great remedy for cellulitis. It helps control the cellulitis-causing bacteria and keeps the spread of infection at bay.
Besides, oregano oil also possesses wound-healing properties that reduce the symptoms and speeds up healing.
How To Use?
- Create a blend by adding three to four drops of oregano oil with one tablespoon of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply this blend over the affected areas at least twice a day for the best results.
3. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one of the most popular essential oils known for treating stress, anxiety, and depression for generations. It is used extensively in aromatherapy, cosmetic purposes, and for treating plenty of skin issues.
Lavender oil comprises analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties that heal the protective barrier of skin that gets wounded due to cellulitis. It prevents making the skin dry and scaly and provides deep nourishment.
How To Use?
- Blend a few drops of lavender oil with one tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix these two oils well and apply them gently over the affected areas.
- Wash off after 15 minutes and repeat the process twice a day.
4. Lemon Oil
Lemon essential oil is rich in antimicrobial agents that protect the skin from bacterial infections. It is one of the most powerful natural ingredients to fight off infections.
It is one of the reasons why lemon oil is found in creams and lotions for cellulite. You can use a mixture of lemon oil and any other essential or carrier oil directly to manage this skin order.
How to Use?
- Prepare a mixture by adding 40-45 drops of lemon oil, 25 drops of tea tree oil, and a bowl of water.
- Blend this mixture well and transfer it into a spray bottle.
- Spray it over the cellulitis-affected areas and leave for hours.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks to get fast results.
5. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus Oil has antiseptic properties that prevent skin infections. It is commonly found in most acne creams, skin lotions, and products used for curing pimples, boils, and rashes.
Besides, it also helps manage cellulitis symptoms by soothing dry, itchy and irritated skin. Also, it provides relief from painful skin rashes.
How To Use:
- Dilute one drop of eucalyptus oil with two tablespoons of any carrier oil like jojoba oil, coconut oil, or almond oil.
- Apply it over the cellulitis-affected areas and gently massage for good results.
- You can also leave the blend overnight and wash it off in the morning.
The potent antimicrobial, analgesic, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties of different essential oils make them a great remedy for skin conditions, wherein cellulitis is one.
While they can manage the symptoms early and prevent further spread, you must consult the doctor in severe cases.
You Might Also Like:
- How To Use Baking Soda For Dark Spots?
- How to Use Turmeric to Treat Boils?
- How to Use Coconut oil and Baking Soda for Cellulite?
- Pimple Inside Nose
- 5 Effective Yoga Poses to Reduce Cellulite
- Coffee Scrub for Cellulite