Oily skin is considered one of the problematic skin types due to various reasons. The oil glands are more active, producing more sebum that often results in acne. When the skin is not taken care of properly, the overproduction of sebum clogs the pores. It is when skin care products made especially for oily skin come in handy.
From cleaners and moisturizers, there are many products intended to improve oily skin. However, toners are one of those that often come under scrutiny due to different views about them. If you wonder are toners effective for oily skin, keep reading to find out.
What Is A Toner?
Toner is a skincare product applied after skin cleansing. It removes traces of cleanser, residual oil, impurities, dirt etc from the skin. At the same time, toners adjust the skin’s pH, preparing it for further skincare products like serums and moisturizers.
Usually, toners contain ingredients like rose water, glycerine, and others, depending upon their specific formulation.
What Are The Benefits Of Toner For Oily Skin?
The major advantages of using toner are the following-
Balances Skin PH
In order to keep oily skin healthy, it is important to maintain its natural pH. As one cleanses the face, the natural pH disturbs, making it more alkaline. It is when the use of toner brings the skin’s natural pH back (slightly acidic), which is important for creating a healthy skin barrier.
Sometimes, residual impurities stay even after cleansing the face. It is when toner helps get rid of those traces of oil, dirt, etc from the skin, leaving it fresh and clean.
Prepare Skin For Further Skin Care Products
Once the toner is applied, serums, moisturizers, etc., get easily absorbed into the skin. Thus, one gets maximum benefits from them.
While cleansing allows pores to open, toners help to tighten and shrink them. It is because of its astringent properties. This helps the skin’s texture to become smooth and refined.
Controls Excess Oil
For oily skin, toners are essential as they help remove excess oil and thus prevent pores from clogging. People with oily skin should look for toners that contain salicylic acid as they have oil-regulating properties.
The hydrating properties of toners replenish the moisture level in the skin, which is important not just for dry but oily skin, too.
When people with oily skin use toners that contain salicylic acid, the problem of clogged pores decreases. It reduces the chances of getting acne. Moreover, toners maintain skin pH, making the skin less susceptible to bacterial growth.
With all the above-mentioned benefits, including toner in the skincare routine ensures giving transformative results within 3-4 weeks. At the same time, toners make the skin healthier and more radiant and fight off major concerns of oily skin, that is, acne.
Choosing Toners For Oily Skin
Now that we know toners could be game-changer for oily skin, here are the major ingredients one should look for in them-
- salicylic acid
- witch hazel
Avoid using toners that contain alcohol, as they can strip off all the natural oil and moisture from the skin, making it dry and irritated.
How Do You Apply Toner?
Any skin care product can give fruitful results when applied in the right manner. Here are the application tips for toner for oily skin-
- Take a small amount (a few drops) of toner on a cotton pad or fingertips. Apply it gently over the skin, focusing more on the T-zone as it produces more oil and is most susceptible to acne. Let the toner dry on its own.
- A toner is a spray bottle. Spray it evenly over the face after cleansing and let it dry before applying the next skin care product.
Usually, it is advised to use toner after every face cleansing session. However, if it’s not possible, make sure to use it twice- one in the morning and the next before going to bed. Sometimes, too much use can cause skin irritation.
Best Toners for Oily Skin
1. Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner for Combination and Oily Skin
It is one of the best oil-free, silicone-free, dye-free, alcohol-free, and paraben-free skin toners that works wonders on oily skin.
- Minimizes pores and enhances youthful appearance
- Consists of antioxidants and hydrating ceramides for healthy skin
- Balances oil and makes skin more radiant and youthful
- Offers hydrating, pore treatment, oil control, even toning, soothing benefits
2. CeraVe Hydrating Toner for Face
There is no denying that CeraVe skin care products are highly beneficial. This toner is made for all skin types to keep it free from acne and other skin concerns. It is non-alcoholic and contains hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and ceramides.
- Gently removes impurities after cleansing
- Balances skin pH
- Leaves skin feeling balanced, soothed, soft, and clean
- Helps restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
3. Anua Heartleaf 77% Soothing Toner
It is another trusted skin toner for oily skin that combats major skin troubles, keeps sebum production under control, and calms and revitalizes the skin.
- Infused with the highest concentration of Heartleaf Extract
- Provides clear and even skin tone
- Hydrates the skin
- Enhances the absorption of serums, ampoules, and moisturizers
4. Good Molecules Niacinamide Brightening Toner
It is one of the best toners for oily skin due to the presence of niacinamide, which controls oil production and prevents acne formation.
- Brightens, balances, and soothes the oily skin
- Targets hyperpigmentation, dullness, and enlarged pores
- Contains Niacinamide and Arbutin that work to brighten dull skin
- Gentle for all skin types
5. Natural Outcome Oily Skin Face Toner
Made specifically for oily skin, this face toner can transform skin for good. It is a purifying astringent facial toner with immense benefits.
- extract oils from your skin while reducing blackheads and redness
- Gives a noticeably more balanced matte complexion with smaller pores
- consists of witch hazel astringent, grapefruit and pomegranate extract, and aloe vera to clarify and hydrate your face
Now that we know toners are really important for all skin types make sure you get the best toner for oily skin that can manage excess oil production. At the same time, it is essential to maintain a fixed skin routine and stick to it to grab maximum and fruitful results.