Whey protein is one of the most popular types of protein supplements on the market. It’s made from milk and has a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), which are important for muscle growth and recovery.(1)
Here are 10 foods that are rich in whey protein.
10 Foods That Contain Whey Protein
1. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is a thick, creamy type of yogurt that’s packed with protein. A single cup (245 grams) of nonfat Greek yogurt provides 22 grams of protein, which is about 44% of the Daily Value.(2)
[ Read: Is Yogurt Good For Cholesterol ]
2. Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is another dairy product that’s rich in whey protein. It’s also a good source of casein protein, which is digested more slowly than whey and may help promote muscle growth.
A 1-cup (226-gram) serving of low-fat cottage cheese contains 28 grams of protein, or 56% of the DV.
Salmon is a fatty fish that’s packed with nutrients, including protein. A 3-ounce (85-gram) serving of cooked salmon provides about 17 grams of protein, or 34% of the DV.(4)
5. Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is a lean, high-protein food. A 3-ounce (85-gram) serving of cooked chicken breast contains 26 grams of protein, or 52% of the DV.(5)
[ Read: 40 Healthy Foods That Help You Burn Fat ]
Beef is another excellent source of high-quality protein. A 3-ounce (85-gram) serving of cooked ground beef provides 21 grams of protein, or 42% of the DV.(6)
7. Cow and Goat Milk
8. Protein Powder
Protein powder is a concentrated source of protein that’s often used in shakes and smoothies. Whey protein powder is particularly popular. A typical serving provides 20–25 grams of protein.
[ Read: 10 Best Protein Powders For Weight Loss ]
Quinoa is a plant-based food that’s high in both protein and fiber. A 1-cup (185-gram) serving of cooked quinoa provides 8 grams of protein. Quinoa is also a good source of the essential amino acid lysine.
Lentils are a type of legume that’s high in fiber and protein. A 1-cup (198-gram) serving of cooked lentils contains 18 grams of protein. Lentils are also a good source of iron and folate.
Whey protein is a high-quality protein that’s found in many common foods. If you’re looking to increase your intake, consider adding more Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, salmon, chicken breast, beef, or milk to your diet.
Image Credit: freepik
- Whey Protein Supplementation Enhances Whole Body Protein Metabolism and Performance Recovery after Resistance Exercise: A Double-Blind Crossover Study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537849/
- Greek Yogurt and 12 Weeks of Exercise Training on Strength, Muscle Thickness and Body Composition in Lean, Untrained, University-Aged Males- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6503736/
- Health Functions of Egg Protein- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9368041/
- Postprandial Effects of Salmon Fishmeal and Whey on Metabolic Markers in Serum and Gene Expression in Liver Cells- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9027870/
- Effects of Whey Protein Injection as a Curing Solution on Chicken Breast Meat- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6612792/
- The effects of beef protein isolate and whey protein isolate supplementation on lean mass and strength in resistance trained individuals – a double blind, placebo controlled study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4595383/
- Comparative Analysis of the Protein Composition of Goat Milk from French Alpine, Nubian, and Creole Breeds and Holstein Friesian Cow Milk: Implications for Early Infant Nutrition- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9454708/#:~:text=Goat%20milk%20has%20a%20casein,and%20cow%20milk%20%5B11%5D.
You Might Also Like:
- 10 Foods That Are High in Vitamin K2
- 10 Protein High Foods for Vegetarians
- High Protein Low Carb Foods List
- Top 10 Foods Highest in Protein
- What Happens If You Eat Too Much Protein?
- Top 10 Vegan Protein Sources You Must Add to Your Diet
- Oziva Superfood Plant Protein For Everyday Fitness
- 10 Side Effects of Protein Powder You Must Know Before Taking