Blemishes, rough patches, and dark spots are common skin issues. If you are dealing with them, lemon and baking soda could be your knight in shining armor.
Lemon and baking soda are some of those ingredients that are found in every kitchen. While lemon juice, rich in Vitamin C, helps to rejuvenate the skin, baking soda helps exfoliate it and make it blemish-free.
You can create your own DIY exfoliating mixture with the help of these two natural ingredients and manage most of your skin issues. Let’s dig a little deeper to know how these two ingredients help and how to make an effective lemon and baking soda mask to get the desired glow.
Effect Of Lemon And Baking Soda On The Skin
The major component of lemon juice is Vitamin C. It helps in boosting the skin in the following ways-
- Manages the signs of aging
- Brightens and lightens the skin tone
- Has the ability to synthesize collagen in the skin
- Protects the skin from the harmful UV rays
At the same time, baking soda has a natural antiseptic with antibacterial properties. It aids the skin by-
- Working as an exfoliator due to its rough texture
- Clean out the pores
- Reduces bacteria from the skin that develops acne
Hence, these two amazing natural ingredients can help address many skin issues. Let’s find out how to use them to curb skin ailments like dark spots.
How To Use Lemon And Baking Soda On Your Face?
You can use lemon and baking soda by mixing them in the right proportion and applying them as a face mask. To make a face mask, you would require-
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda- 2 tablespoon
- Take a bowl and mix lemon juice and baking soda. It will create a fizzy bubbling solution. Keep mixing until the fizz stops, and you get a runny, pale yellow paste.
- Apply this mixture all over the face and rub gently. Concentrate more on areas that have dark spots, blemishes, and acne.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Wipe it off with a washcloth dipped in lukewarm water.
- Now wash your face with cold water that will close the open pores due to exfoliation.
Frequency Of Application
Apply this face mask once a week.
Note: You may feel a slight tingling sensation on the skin with this face mask, which is normal. However, if you experience a burning sensation, wash off the face mask immediately and don’t use it again.
Apart from this method, you can also use another face mask with baking soda, lemon, and honey. Here, honey will impart its antibacterial properties to the skin, making the pores free of microbes that cause acne.
Also, honey moisturizes, softens, and soothes the skin, making it the perfect face mask for dry and sensitive skin.
To make this face mask, you would require-
- Honey- 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda- 1 tablespoon
- Take a bowl and mix all these three ingredients to make a paste.
- Apply this paste all over the face and neck.
- Leave it on the face for at least 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Frequency of Application
- Apply this face mask once a week.
Note: Lemon juice has Vitamin C, which makes skin photosensitive. It can cause redness, itching, or burning of the skin. Therefore, before stepping out into the sun, make sure you apply sunscreen.
Benefits Of Lemon And Baking Soda Face Mask
1. Detoxify The Skin
The texture of baking soda is slightly granular, which works as a physical exfoliant. It helps to remove dead skin cells. At the same time, lemon contains antioxidants that fight off free radicals and detoxify the skin. Together, they work as an effective detoxifying mask.
2. Lightens Dark Spots And Hyperpigmentation
Both lemon juice and baking soda aids in decreasing melanin formation and lightening the skin. It reduces dark spots, blemishes, and hyperpigmentation.
3. Remove Blackheads And Whiteheads
Blackheads and whiteheads result when dirt and dust are stuck in the open pores of the skin. While blackheads can form in any body part, whiteheads are usually found around the nose. Since baking soda exfoliates and lemon juice removes excess oil from the skin, they come in handy when blackheads and whiteheads proliferate.
4. Acts As Anti-aging Agents
The antioxidant and collagen-boosting properties of lemon and exfoliating and antibacterial properties of baking soda combine to reduce aging spots, fine lines, and other aging signs.
Even though lemon juice and baking soda effectively treat various skin issues, you should not forget that they are also potential irritants. People with sensitive skin often face such issues using lemon or baking soda. Therefore, a patch test is recommended.
However, people who do not face any issues with these ingredients can get glowing and youthful skin with these face masks. Make sure you apply sunscreen while going out after using it, as lemon will make your skin photosensitive.
You Might Also Like:
- Lemon Juice for Dark Spots
- How to Use Baking Soda for Dark Circles Under Eyes?
- How to Whiten Dark Neck with Baking Soda
- How to Lighten Dark Elbows with Baking Soda?
- Baking Soda and Lemon: Benefits for Health and Beauty
- Baking Soda for Acne: How to Use?
- Makeup Tips For Girls With Freckles